Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

My hatch is done. I ended up with 15 Silkies hatched of 20 eggs, but 5 chicks died soon after hatching. Ten adorable little fluffballs running around--they are really too cute.

My air vents are open I believe. This is a large egg too. Someone told me my temperature was low. I haven't heard any peeping at all. I believe they are open but I will check.

In the good news columns, more chicks hatched overnight!
jumpy.gif

I have a feeling I am done, but I will leave the remainder in the incubator just to see. So far, I have:

• 1 Orpington mix from swap
  • 1 Rose Comb Brown Leghorn
  • 2 Marans mixes from swap
  • 2 Blue Birchen Marans (1 black, 1 blue)
  • 6 Speckled Sussex and Speckled Sussex / EE and Ameraucana mixes from my flock
  • 8 Euskal Oiloa / Marraduna Basque Hens - of which I might lose two.

All in all, that's 20 chicks from 45 or so eggs. This hatch and the resulting ICU chicks have left me feeling a bit bruised, but I am learning and experiencing things I never have before. Life is about learning and growing. I'm a theory/book learning type of person, that part comes easy, but 90% of knowing something is the practice; only 10% is theory in my experience. Growing pains are part of the process, and I'm thankful to have the opportunity to learn and grow.

Happy Easter & belated equinox celebrations everyone.

One air vent was open, I opened the other....

Try seeing if you can bump the temp up a little bit. My first hatch was on the low side on temp and once I realized that and bumped the temp up they started hatching. I was hatching all the way to Wednesday that time and hatch day was Saturday. They may be a little late but hope is not lost yet.
hugs.gif

Try seeing if you can bump the temp up a little bit. My first hatch was on the low side on temp and once I realized that and bumped the temp up they started hatching. I was hatching all the way to Wednesday that time and hatch day was Saturday. They may be a little late but hope is not lost yet.
hugs.gif

Thanks. I bumped it up a little.
fl.gif
Still hoping and praying. If I lose this hatch, I will try again. Thanks for the help :)

Happy Easter everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks, dsqard. They are under ecoglows, so I don't think it is the temperature. (ETA: Little butt looks good too.) It's leg band is missing, so I was thinking it might have swallowed it, although I can't feel it in the crop. There is other stuff in there though. I've been feeding parrot food and water and massaging its crop, neck, and abdomen a bit. It opens its eyes to drink, and it is fighting to get out of my hand now, which I think is a good thing. I've been through the Mereks/Coccid/Newcastle descriptions and have calmed myself a bit - I don't think it is any of those. Everybody else in the brooder looks fine for now - even Sneakers, who is a bright little thing and figured out the hamster waterer already - but I am not moving the chicks from the incubator over just yet. A bit more reading first.

I've never had any problems before that weren't resolved within an hour or two - not a curled toe, not a disease or parasite, not a loss to predators - in the chicks I hatched last year or raised. This is all new to me - splints, wrapping toes, coddling sick chicks. I hope I can do right by these chicks, whatever that means. I also really am very thankful for the healthy chicks and chickens that I do have.

Good luck to everyone as we finish up our hatches!

Last edited:
Thought my hatch was over yesterday, took out the hatched chicks last night and looked over the rest of the eggs - no pips or peeping when tapped (I do this in a hot steamy bathroom). Left them in overnight an lo and behold, this morning there was a maran chick snoozing! An easter surprise.

Back
Top Bottom