Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I set 6 lavendar silkie eggs and 1 welsummer egg (checking fertility) in my NEW mine brinsea advance I won from the Easter hatch!!!
celebrate.gif
Hoping for a good hatch,
fl.gif

Today, I will be swabbing the Easter chicks for MG as they are 3 weeks old now. Please pray that the results comes back negative and the experiment had worked. I will not get the results back for two weeks! It will be a long wait.
sad.png
fl.gif

I set 6 lavendar silkie eggs and 1 welsummer egg (checking fertility) in my NEW mine brinsea advance I won from the Easter hatch!!!
celebrate.gif
Hoping for a good hatch,
fl.gif

Happy Hatching!!
wee.gif

Today, I will be swabbing the Easter chicks for MG as they are 3 weeks old now. Please pray that the results comes back negative and the experiment had worked. I will not get the results back for two weeks! It will be a long wait.
sad.png
You've been through so much. I hope you know that sharing your story has made so many of us much more careful, and we thank you for those lessons. Of course all of our hearts are with you and wish for the best.
hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I guess it's been 21 days since the Easter Hatch ended, because I set the very next day!

Hey all, I haven't been in this forum for a few weeks since the easter hatch but I have a question and though I may get quicker responses here. I have 2 orps that I got on auction. They are 7-8 weeks old. I just noticed today that the eyes of the roo are swollen shut and one of the hens eyes are swollen shut. Does anyone know why? What should I do about it? I think the roo is looking a bit lethargic and wondering if he's not finding food and water.

Hey all, I haven't been in this forum for a few weeks since the easter hatch but I have a question and though I may get quicker responses here. I have 2 orps that I got on auction. They are 7-8 weeks old. I just noticed today that the eyes of the roo are swollen shut and one of the hens eyes are swollen shut. Does anyone know why? What should I do about it? I think the roo is looking a bit lethargic and wondering if he's not finding food and water.
Go get some Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store pronto!

Gently hold a warm wet cloth to their eyes and open them as they become unstuck and treat them.

I am NOT recommending this treatment, however it may help to know that any antibiotic drops for human use, such as ciprofloxacin, will work very well on chickens. If you can find a vet who will treat them, that's great. If you can't find anything, again, NOT recommending this, but it may help to know that Tylan 50 in saline solution at a 5% helped my hen with pink-eye. 5 drops Tylan to 100 drops saline solution.

Good luck!

Quote: ha, ha thanks for all those NOT recommendations!
wink.png
I did do the warm wash cloth thing and was able to at least get the eyes open, one is still open the other closed again. I will go to the feed store in the morning. I'll check with my wife to see if we have any antibiotic eye drops. what in theory would you do with the Tylan/saline? just put it in the eyes? or is it to drink?

BTW, you look exactly like my cousin! It freaks me out everytime I see one of your posts. It's uncanny how similar! In fact, I am 90% sure I could show most of my family your photo and ask who it was and they would all say my cousin's name. funny! I had to ask myself the first few times... did Elisabeth get way into chickens without me knowing?!! But she is in Texas not Kansas so I'm most likely kind of pretty maybe sure that you are not one and the same.
big_smile.png

Quote: Haha!! I NEVER have anyone look like me! I want to see pics! I bet it's just the angle of that shot. Here's another of me- don't be afraid...I AM entirely made of teeth, but I don't bite.

The saline/Tylan could be used as eyedrops...if one used injectable Tylan, anyway...
Well, not as much in that picture. but I can still see the resemblance. :) I wish I could find the picture I was thinking of. It is just almost identical to your avatar. Maybe someday I'll find it. Here is a picture...hope she won't get upset that I am randomly posting her picture in a hatch-a-long forum!! I can't wait to tell her. But compared to the avatar pic, still looks very similar! BTW, glad I don't have your feed bill!! Ha, pillows made of feed.

An update,

So, i haven't been able to find any evidence of mites as far as I can tell. I did dust the birds just in case but I couldn't find any evidence of them on the birds in the way suggested in forums. I have been applying and eye ointment so at least one of the roos eyes is open now making eating and drinking easier. The other eye of the pullet and the roo will open after I treat them but then still seems to be closed every few hours when I check on them again. Overall, though I would have to say both appear better. When I hold them, I was feeling like I could hear some wheezing so a vet friend suggested "shipping fever". As a result I will give them Tylan 50 for three days orally. unfortunately I wasn't able to quarantine them as I had no where to put them away from the 5 other chickens with them. No room in the inn and I didn't have time to build something today. Can't leave them out because of the disgusting sewer raccoons! I guess I will know about the other birds soon. 3 of them were in with the orps before I noticed any symptoms for about the last 3 days. The other 2 I just added yesterday but I don't want to put any of them back in one of my brooders for fear of spreading anything. Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom