Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Hey all, I have another hatch going and today is supposed to be lock down. Well I went to get ready to candle pull eggs from turner, etc and I have an egg all the way zipped! This is day 18. way early! What should I do? Do I wait until it hatches before opening the bator and upping the humidity, pulling the turner etc? Then do i leave the chick in or pull it out?I don't see any other pips on any other eggs. I don't really want to delay too much but I also don't want to harm this early hatcher....

If you were doing the dry incubation, it would not matter if you open the incubator. Just take the turner out, add water and put back the eggs. Hope you have a good hatch! :)

Dry hatch is a misleading term. The humidity should be around 30%, so you still may need to add water to keep it that high. I add water using a catheter, but a straw would work too. Make sure you use warm water.

Melissa rose, hope you feel better soon! :)

Last edited:
Dry hatch is a misleading term. The humidity should be around 30%, so you still may need to add water to keep it that high. I add water using a catheter, but a straw would work too. Make sure you use warm water.

Melissa rose, hope you feel better soon!
smile.png
the chick that hatched was completely shrink wrapped and so dry. Had to help it out because I couldn't wait 24 hours since I knew others would be starting to pip when I raised the humidity...and I had to go to work. Anyway, helped it out, added water and placed chick under a heat lamp. it only survived a few hours... i think the transition was just too rushed. crazy motivated chick it was. fully zipped when I woke up at the beginning of day 18. Sad. The others seem to be on a more normal time and will give me a chance to give them some moisture.

Quote: Sorry to hear it, it's always hard to lose one.

I hope the rest of your hatch goes better.

Deb
Thanks. Yes, so sad. I was so admiring this crazy little motivated chick but realized without any moisture in there, there was no way it was gonna get out. If I waited and boosted the moisture then I was gonna have to disrupt the hatching for everyone else. I sort of knew deep down that the chance were slim and I had to go to work so I wasn't gonna be able to wait it out and/or get the poor little chick a little more of a gentle transition. It is actually the first chick that I have hatched that didn't survive... in four hatches of about 125 chicks!! I'm sure there will be more. :-(

Back
Top Bottom