Maine

HeyHi to all. I have a friendly barred rock rooster that needs a new home anyone in eastern Maine I terested? I am near Gorham NH about30 min west of be thel maine. Could drive a bit to meet if he could have a home but would like to not be driving too far thank you!

Some Roos for you?
I have a mini- Mille-Fluer with beautiful leg fins and feathering, gorgeous comb. He wants to be lead male so badly, but is loving too! 3 mo+. 'Mork"
I have a Buff Brahma roo needing a new home. 3 mo+. Came from pullet bin. Loves snuggles, easy going, but picking up bad habits from lead rooster- doesn't have the full picture yet.... "Jellerson". Would love to keep him, but our lead rooster has come so far, and ladies have already put up with so much. He is soooooo soft, can't help but hold him!
I have a Kellogg's Cereal Bantum roo, rescued, 1 yr+ "Pickles". Very sweet and snuggly, easily handled. Is a great support rooster for a lead, or a lead mini roo.... but will try and take a shot at the big-ladies.... the big-biddies just won't have it. Too sweet not to have his own flock.

I picked from the bantum bin and managed to pick one pullet and 1 cockerel of each kind?! I don't know how this happened...50/50. Too many for my Rooster to comprehend- his head is spinning on accepting these new chickens and/or fighting- off the lil'guys.

I have a beautiful Cayuga drake too, "Honey" very nice. Just wants to be in a group, but my khaki drake says no.

PICTURES SOON.
If any of these sound like an option for you, please let me know.

Hey all you mainers I'm from windham maine, I just wanted to know if next winter I should insulate my coop
ok... this is where it gets tricky....
I live in Sanford area, Maine. I did not insulate my coop, but had an attatched covered run for the lot..they loved this. I had 10 chickens and 5 ducks, together under one roof, but in separated areas inside the run. It was nicer in the run, with the greenhouse effect, than it was outside the run. About 10 degrees, but it was fine. The chickens slept in the coop, altogether, well.
The tricky part was ... I didn't need to insulate the coop, I just got more chickens! I started with 4 chickens, in Pa. not warm enough... got 2 more- one was a roo! Oops! rehomed him and still had a deficit... came to Maine, and got 4 more, and rescued 2 bantums. ( they only count as 1 tho )
Joking aside, Chickens generate a lot of heat- you know... they do better in winter than in the summer. Too much insulation - and there's moisture.... not good. I did have roos with a bit of black on their combs, but also had frozen water dropplets on my run's ceiling... so, this was on me. I ventilated a bit more and it was better.
Depending on how many you have you may not need anything, and maybe instead- a window open a touch in your coop to boot!

(btw- I now have 15!! winter will be great)

Last edited:
Hi Maine Chicken Folks - looking for help putting hen down.

This is not for now but for the future event that I need to put down one of my 6 hens. I cannot do it, nor can my husband, and I dont want to have to take one of my girls to the vet and traumatize her (and pay a ton). Just looking to have someone on hand nearby I can call on if the need arises. Gorham, Maine.

You absolutely must have your own flock (no axe-wielding weirdos please) and experience with putting them down humanely.

I will pay $25 cash.

This is not for now but for the future event that I need to put down one of my 6 hens. I cannot do it, nor can my husband, and I dont want to have to take one of my girls to the vet and traumatize her (and pay a ton). Just looking to have someone on hand nearby I can call on if the need arises. Gorham, Maine.

You absolutely must have your own flock (no axe-wielding weirdos please) and experience with putting them down humanely.

I will pay $25 cash.
What's wrong with your hen? I ask because we have 7 years of experience with chickens. Of course in that time we've dealt with sick girls and tended them. Didn't know if I could offer advise if it's something we've dealt with. We are in limerick maine.

I will pay $25 cash.
I know someone who is a professional on chicken culling. He doesn't use an ax and supposedly there's no blood either, it's very humane. He worked in the chicken barns for many years where he'd oftentimes have to cull a hen or two. He's a little over an hour away from you.

Unfortunately, I haven't been in recent contact with this person, so I don't know if he'd still be interested in doing chicken culling (he was someone who I had on call, though I thankfully never needed him). If I do get back into contact with him, I can ask him if he'd be interested.

Completely random, but is there anyone who might be willing to take a rescued duck? It's very friendly and will eat out of your hand. I currently don't have it yet, but I might be trying to pick it up by this weekend. (No guarantees that I will actually get it yet, but am posting this ahead of time. I also might know someone locally who might take it too.) I think it is a female. It's a Black Swedish/Mallard mix and is all black except for the beautiful white chest. She is flightless as far as I know. If you are interested, please let me know asap! (If all else fails, and you have a friendly female looking for a new home, let me know on that too. Preferably no Pekins.)

I know someone who is a professional on chicken culling. He doesn't use an ax and supposedly there's no blood either, it's very humane. He worked in the chicken barns for many years where he'd oftentimes have to cull a hen or two. He's a little over an hour away from you.

Unfortunately, I haven't been in recent contact with this person, so I don't know if he'd still be interested in doing chicken culling (he was someone who I had on call, though I thankfully never needed him). If I do get back into contact with him, I can ask him if he'd be interested.
thank you Lacy

Hey all my Mainers. How are you and your flocks and farms doing after this bad storm? A lot of places are badly flooded and lots of huge trees had fallen down. My birds are doing well. We had a huge tree come down, though by a miracle, it missed everything. We had lost power for 24 hours, but it's thankfully back on and we didn't get too cold. I hope you are all doing well and are staying both safe and warm. :hugs :hugs

That was a heck of a storm! We're fine at my place - miraculously no trees down near the house, only in the woods, and all the chicken structures held up. We did lose power but only briefly, last night.
I hope everyone's power comes back on before the cold returns full force!

Back
Top Bottom