Maine

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I went to TSC today w/ out the hubby or kids, and they had chicks.
roll.png
No one was there to tell me no, the chicks were super cute, and I just "needed" 6 White Leghorn chicks. (And I still haven't told the hubby that I went to the swap on saturday or what I got there. He works out of state.) Do you think he will notice the Leghorn chicks in with the Dominique,Red Dorking, Wheaten Marans and Ameraucana chicks that are due to hatch Friday? He won't be home until the 18th.
wink.png
In my defense, 4 of the Leghorn chicks are going to my mom and dad when they start laying, and if my parents ever finish (or start) building their coop.

If it didn't make me a hypocrite I would totally call an intervention for you!
As it is we have 19 chicks, 4-5 doz more eggs sitting waiting and a bator that is over full. You never know who is going to hatch so, you know, you have to put all the eggs in to compensate.

If it didn't make me a hypocrite I would totally call an intervention for you!
As it is we have 19 chicks, 4-5 doz more eggs sitting waiting and a bator that is over full. You never know who is going to hatch so, you know, you have to put all the eggs in to compensate.
The 2 silkies don't count because they're banties, and neither do chickens that aren't laying yet. (At least that's how I explain it) And since the female duck isn't laying yet, she doesn't count either, so technically, all I have gotten in the last 4 days is a lonely male Muscovy, not 2 ducks, a paint silkie, a Wyandotte pullet, an Orpington pullet, a Wyandotte cockerel, and 6 white Leghorn pullets.
thumbsup.gif

Here's a question for all of you poultry folks. How often have you run into weasels preying on your poultry? That is my greatest fear, and the most difficult predator to guard against IMO unless keeping birds in a fort knox completely secured building. It sounds like over head attack is a pretty significant factor as well.

So, the bad news is we just had a Northern Goshawk snatch our oldest and last remaining original chicken. Not very happy with that at all. She was a very cool chicken. We called her Kamikaze, named after a character in the "how to train your dragon" book series because she was alwayz the first to charge in and inspect the situation...probably what ultimately cause her demise.

But the good news is I got to see a Northern Goshawk! I am a huge bird fan and I have a huge appreciation for predatory birds. So, it was sort of awe inspiring to see one so close.

Edited to add we found a 2nd dead one, and the 4 that were missing were huddled under a bush and came runnign when Momma called them.
Awww sorry to hear that, stinkin birds! Hopefully your kiddos take chicken deaths/disappearances a lot better then mine! Here's to hoping that he doesn't come back for thirds...
hmm.png

Here's a question for all of you poultry folks. How often have you run into weasels preying on your poultry? That is my greatest fear, and the most difficult predator to guard against IMO unless keeping birds in a fort knox completely secured building. It sounds like over head attack is a pretty significant factor as well.
Also, I can see how chicken math could become a huge issue. If I did keep a rooster to ensure future generations. It would also be beneficial to keep a silkie to take care of incubating and brooding said generations. Then, in the spring, my coop wouldn't be big enough... thus the need for a larger, more permanent building, thus the need to fill it with birds, even only if to provide extra BTU for winter heat.

Also, I can see how chicken math could become a huge issue.  If I did keep a rooster to ensure future generations.  It would also be beneficial to keep a silkie to take care of incubating and brooding said generations.  Then, in the spring, my coop wouldn't be big enough... thus the need for a larger, more permanent building, thus the need to fill it with birds, even only if to provide extra BTU for winter heat.

Chicken math is definitely becoming a problem here! Though, by the above rules I haven't added ANY chickens to the flock. :lol: My coop is only big enough for 25 (I think so anyway, it's 10'x10') and I already have 12 adults, I'm not sure WHAT I'm going to do when these chicks grow up! 17 eggs in the bator, 18 chicks in the brooder (only 8 are straight run, the rest are pullets), plus getting 4 more pullets tomorrow.

Anna, I'm sorry about the hawk attack. :( I have a hen in the house right now that was attacked by, I have no idea what... Neighbor's dog hasn't gotten loose, and no hawks or predators to be seen lately. Nor have I heard any commotion lately. Of course it had to be my most flighty bird to get injured, and it took a few days to catch her and get her inside. :( Big giant wound on her back, doing the best I can and she is acting fine, but man is it nasty looking.

Awww sorry to hear that, stinkin birds!  Hopefully your kiddos take chicken deaths/disappearances a lot better then mine!  Here's to hoping that he doesn't come back for thirds... :/

They used to have a very hard time with it! But as we have continued to keep chickens, hatch little ones, even raise meaties, they have learned so much and handle it so amazing! I am impressed every time. There was a time we couldnt swat a mosquito without someone crying. Now everyone has a better understanding and appreciation for the whole circle of life. The thing that really has me in awe is the way my youngest 2 are able to handle all of it. They even like to go out and help daddy process the meaties. They stay with him from start to finish and carefully do "their" job (they are the feather pluckers). I found that very shocking when they first started doing it, butrealized after a while that they probably had a better handle on things than I do!

Anyway, is anyone going ot be coming to the swap at the windham tsc in a couple of weeks?

They used to have a very hard time with it! But as we have continued to keep chickens, hatch little ones, even raise meaties, they have learned so much and handle it so amazing! I am impressed every time. There was a time we couldnt swat a mosquito without someone crying. Now everyone has a better understanding and appreciation for the whole circle of life. The thing that really has me in awe is the way my youngest 2 are able to handle all of it. They even like to go out and help daddy process the meaties. They stay with him from start to finish and carefully do "their" job (they are the feather pluckers). I found that very shocking when they first started doing it, butrealized after a while that they probably had a better handle on things than I do!

Anyway, is anyone going ot be coming to the swap at the windham tsc in a couple of weeks?
I want to come! My fav chicks never came through from my other guy so I am down to 0! I want some salmon fav bantys and am hoping your little seramas do well and maybe I can grab a couple of those as well. My brooder is staring me down everyday just waiting to be used! Hahaha! As for the kiddos, I have 3 girls and me and my oldest take it harder then anyone but are getting better. My 3 almost 4 yr old could care less, she actually looks at us like we are crazy when we did our little chicken funerals, and my little one is too little to understand. I do find the longer that you keep chickens it gets a tad bit easier but those first ones you ever got were VERY hard to say goodbye to
sad.png

We haven't had to process any of ours yet, but I think my oldest (6.5) will be ok. The ones we'll be culling later this year will be raised specifically for meat, so that should make it easier. Not like having to butcher one of our "special" chickens. The 2.5 year old couldn't care less. I am glad they'll grow up knowing where food comes from though.

If I weren't overrun with chicks already I'd go! But I don't dare right now, since I know I wouldn't come back empty handed. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom