Maine

30 eggs have made it to lockdown
celebrate.gif
This weekend can't come fast enough. I wanna see those fuzzy butts!

celebrate.gif
That's EXCITING! Good luck! I can't even try the whole incubating thing... I would have fuzzy butts EVERYWHERE from the sounds of everyones conversations on here! Can't wait to see pictures, don't you dare keep all that cuteness to yourself!!

That's EXCITING! Good luck! I can't even try the whole incubating thing... I would have fuzzy butts EVERYWHERE from the sounds of everyones conversations on here! Can't wait to see pictures, don't you dare keep all that cuteness to yourself!!
Don't worry, I'll post tons of pics. Once you start hatching, you'll never wanna stop.

The 2 silkies don't count because they're banties, and neither do chickens that aren't laying yet. (At least that's how I explain it) And since the female duck isn't laying yet, she doesn't count either, so technically, all I have gotten in the last 4 days is a lonely male Muscovy, not 2 ducks, a paint silkie, a Wyandotte pullet, an Orpington pullet, a Wyandotte cockerel, and 6 white Leghorn pullets.
thumbsup.gif

I would remind you that they all eat.
celebrate.gif
Come to my house. You can even hold fuzzy butts.

I will be at a few swaps, just not sure which at the moment. If you want it and I have it we'll work something out.
wink.png

Looks like thanks to a fellow bycer my poms will be here Thursday!!
love.gif

weasel attacks are the worst, you only need to get hit once because they kill everything they can catch. I was almost wiped out in one day13 birds killed, and I figured that since it was now daylight, they would be safe until nightfall, wrong! the bugger came back killed all but 3 birds. we got that one, but a new one moved in the next yr but only got 1 bird. keeping dogs around I think has helped put a stop to them here.

Here's a question for all of you poultry folks. How often have you run into weasels preying on your poultry? That is my greatest fear, and the most difficult predator to guard against IMO unless keeping birds in a fort knox completely secured building. It sounds like over head attack is a pretty significant factor as well.

my brother lost a hen yesterday didn't know what happened found it dead by the coop. then this afternoon he heard his hens making a commotion went to see what was going on and saw 2 turkey vultures coming in to attack. he ran to the house got his gun and got two of them before they grabbed any birds. he said there were two more vultures that he could see that flew down by the river outback of his house. bad year for predators.

Turkey vultures are a federally protected species so shooting them is illegal.

Turkey vultures are a federally protected species so shooting them is illegal.
This, and I am surprised they would attack? As far as I know, they are scavengers, I think it is extremely rare that they kill their own prey. Maybe they were just coming to get the already deceased bird?

Back
Top Bottom