Maine

My sister had a chicken hawk trying to find a way into her run last week.

Still no sign of that murdering weasel! Last night we screwed rat traps to the wall of the coop baited w/meat. I figured it can’t hurt! My game cam won’t work w/fresh batteries. IDK what’s wrong with that so I don’t know if it’s been back and just avoided the traps or what.

Everyone is still living in the garage w/supervised free range time after work. At least they all now head for the garage at bedtime and I don’t have to chase/herd/lure them in.

Last edited:
Oh man so sorry to hear that! I just found my first rat burrow under my smaller coop I have my 5 week old chicks and ducks in. Guess I need to set a trap and hopefully catch it. Fighting the urge to hatch out just one more batch of eggs since I only had 7 out of last 12. pretty sure it's a bit too late and financially I think I need to wait.
I am pretty sure I am going to get rid of My Black Australorp foursome. Just wonder what to charge for a rooster and 3 hens. It's either that or trade for a breed that lays darker colored eggs. One of the hens there has been laying double yolker's every 3 or 4 days like clockwork. Not sure if it's Mara, Rey or Ahsoka.
Yes, I named all my Black Australorps after STar Wars Characters. I named my big black rooster Vader. Cause.... Well he is big and black and does look a bit menacing even if he's a really nice roo.

One of my BA pullets is laying. Nice dark almost terra-cotta color with freckles. Good size for a pullet egg. I'm really pleased with my BA. Where did you get yours, CFB? Mine are Cackle.

I still have a BE trio available if any one is interested. Looking to sell as a trio, but may sell just the gals, and eat the cockerel if no takers for them as a breeding trio.

Been laid up for a few weeks and just starting to get back on my feet.

Put the trail camera up to figure out what's been pillaging the field (down 9 hens since it started). Plan is to sit out in a blind once we get some moon light and resolve the problem.

Camera did't help, 4 possible suspects all within a few hours of each other: Coon, Skunk, Fox, Yote.

STC_0007.jpg STC_0013.jpg STC_0014.jpg STC_0028.jpg

Sorry about your girls Hiltonizer I’ve had no luck catching the weasel or even seeing tracks. The girls are still in the garage. DH would like them to go back to the coop. I feel like the minute I put them back, It will return!! Do I dare hope it’s moved on now that the free buffet is closed?!

Wow Hiltonizer, that's a busy field.
@CoopChick719 , can you stuff hardware cloth into any openings before you put the birds back, or are there too many areas to squeeze into?
We never saw our male mink after the one time he came back looking for the female that we killed. The coop is much more sealed up now, but the hens are out all day, and the mink came around mostly in the daytime.

I saw your coon and fox. Did not see the other 2. was it just eyes visible in last 2 shots?

The skunk is the 2nd to last, Coyote the last... they're very faint... need a bright monitor but you can see most of their bodies.

Actually looks like its a pretty damn big coyote too... we hear packs of them from time to time. They've called to one of my dogs before too, gotta resolve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom