Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

How did you train the birds there was feed in there? I am making 4 of these to put in my new coop. I have a hole drilled out of a small container for my new baby chicks to eat from so they will know to look in the hole. But the older gals I worry about not finding the food.

I pulled some feed out so it was sitting at the edge of the pipe. Also put some corn and their favorite treats in there. Worked pretty well. Mine don't seem to like to stick their heads in it though

How did you train the birds there was feed in there? I am making 4 of these to put in my new coop. I have a hole drilled out of a small container for my new baby chicks to eat from so they will know to look in the hole. But the older gals I worry about not finding the food.

If it is the only food source they have they will figure it out just fine, just give them some time if they are not immediately curious... Even the dumb ones will figure it out by copying in short...

I'm guessing they will find it very quickly. If not, run to walmart or the dollar store and buy one of the $1.00 key chain laser pointers they sell. They chase it like crazy, shine it inside of the elbow and they will be in there. That's how I trained mine to drink from the cup waterers when I made them. Took all of about 10 seconds for them to figure it out.

I'm guessing they will find it very quickly. If not, run to walmart or the dollar store and buy one of the $1.00 key chain laser pointers they sell. They chase it like crazy, shine it inside of the elbow and they will be in there. That's how I trained mine to drink from the cup waterers when I made them. Took all of about 10 seconds for them to figure it out.

Lol, would love to see the chickies chasing a light. I have a 4 pen coop being built and bought 4 trash cans to put the elbows in. Just hoping it works.

I like the twist off lids. Anyone know where to get those type of buckets in Oklahoma?

The twist off lids for 5 gallon buckets can be found at most hardware stores, most people call them 'Gamma' lids as that is the manufactures designation/model name for the design...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Screw-Top-Lid-5GAMMA6/203205720

https://www.menards.com/main/housew...ts/the-gamma-seal-reg-lid/p-1444430890048.htm

http://www.lowes.com/pd_546960-1152-82136_1z0wqlg__?productId=50094688&pl=1

Last edited:
I built my first one this week and put a little food in the mouth. My younger birds (9 weeks) warmed up to quickly and are the only ones eating from it. My older ones (19 weeks) walk right past it to go the old reliable hanger. I'm guessing the older ones will use it eventually.

The only modification I made to the original design was I used a kitty litter bucket that had flat surfaces (square bucket). Also, since it was outside I caulked around the pipe. Very easy to make. I used a Dremel tool with a rotary bit to cut the hole making sure to cut INSIDE the traced line.

Back
Top Bottom