Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

I don't have ducks, so I can't say for certain, but I was going to suggest that the 3-inch elbows are really big. I just got three to make a feeder that my roosters can get their heads in (they don't like to stick their heads in if their combs bump), and I was thinking about your post while I was standing in Lowes with my whole hand stuck through a three-inch street-connection elbow.

Some even use 4 inch for roos with really big combs but 3 seems big too. I used 4 but mine refused to stick their heads in so i took it out but i also never took out the other feeders and it was only in there a few days so thats probably why

Thoughts on pvc elbow size for a bantam only flock? 2in... 2.5in?
The group in question are 9 spangled oegb(hatchery) that will be just shy of 3months in July when the feeder will be necessary. Possibly adding a trio of adult bantam speckled sussex as well.
I have to leave town for a week and husband is pretty hands off with my birds so I want there to be as little for him to do as possible.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, as a matter of fact I think I read somewhere else someone used kitty litter containers to make these.

As I've seen mentioned elsewhere, I would not recommend hanging these style of feeders seeing as the birds have to put their heads and necks into the openings, they wouldn't like it once it started twisting in the air.  Putting it up on a cinder block or pavers works just fine.  This style doesn't need to be so high off the ground because the elbow keeps the food from being flung out.

You CAN hang these if you mount a 2x4 or 4x4 on the floor underneath it and screw the bottom of the feeder onto it. You can use a hanger bolt screwed into the 2x4 and fasten the bucket with a wing nut on the bottom if you want, or you can use an insert in your 2x4 and run a threaded rod up through the lid and fasten all with a wing nut on the top of the lid. I use those little orange plastic pylons screwed to the lids to keep the birds off. They have a 5" base with screw holes for mounting and I get 'em from Amazon. If you are hanging the feeders on posts as I described above, you need only to drill a hole in the pylon and thread your hanging wire through it - so you can just lift it and unscrew the wing nut to remove the lid and refill. Hanging your feeder like this will almost guarantee that your rodents won't be able to get in it. Haha

I read somewhere else that 2" PCV would work for full grown hens. Do you think that will be okay? And do I need a 3" PCV opening if I have a rooster. Not sure if my 8 week old chicks are actually getting food

I read somewhere else that 2" PCV would work for full grown hens. Do you think that will be okay? And do I need a 3" PCV opening if I have a rooster. Not sure if my 8 week old chicks are actually getting food

I have a feeder with 2-inch PVC ports. The chickens using it are 8 weeks old. It's almost too small for the pullets, but they still manage to get their beaks in to the food. The cockerels don't use the 2-inch feeder anymore because they bump their combs sticking their heads in. I have 3-inch street connectors, I just need to get a bucket to make my new feeder.

I'd say full-grown bantams might be okay on 2-inchers, but full-size birds no. Other folks here might have different experiences.

My roosters don't like to use the 3" ports; a 4" port might work, but this size would probably work better on a straight-sided vessel. Here's a pic of a chick feeder I like. The little ports are just 1 1/2".

Here's another pic of how I set up my outdoor feeders. (The rebar is not pounded in yet). The pylon is screwed to the top scrap of wood, and this just slips off the rebar when you want to refill. The lid does not need to be pounded on, and it can just be lifted off. I've used this arrangement for awhile, and it works perfectly.

When I "hang" a feeder like this, I thread a pie or pizza tin on the hanging wire, so that it dangles right over the bucket handle.

just came across this forum and wondering if jackdaws would be able to get at the feed in these ? they are entering the chicken coop and devouring everything in sight, have tried treadle feeder but hens are afraid of it.

just came across this forum and wondering if jackdaws would be able to get at the feed in these ? they are entering the chicken coop and devouring everything in sight, have tried treadle feeder but hens are afraid of it.

It won't stop smaller birds, best to invest in some aviary netting over the coop/run to keep the birds out...

Back
Top Bottom