Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Hello,

I really like this idea. If I use this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3...-Hub-Street-Elbow-C48072HD3/100347226#overlay
Will I have to cut the PVC? Or can I just insert this in a 5 gallon bucket after cutting with the 3 1/8 hole saw?
I do not think you would need to cut that.

However. . You might need to buy a matching straight pipe, and cut off an inch or two of the straight pipe to add length to that elbow.

Might be easiest to start with only those elbows, and see how much feed is billed out. Then, only add length if there is a problem.

Also... let me measure mine, I love mine...

I think mine is a 4 inch diameter, but I am not sure.

If you have roosters with huge combs, or ducks...the 3 inch might be too small...

I will tell you the size of mine in the morning.

One of mine is 4 inch and the other has two 3 inch street 90s. The 4 inch is required because my roo's comb. Same feed and the girls eat out of both feeders. The rooster only eats out of the one.

I do not think you would need to cut that.

However. . You might need to buy a matching straight pipe, and cut off an inch or two of the straight pipe to add length to that elbow.

Might be easiest to start with only those elbows, and see how much feed is billed out. Then, only add length if there is a problem.

Also... let me measure mine, I love mine...

I think mine is a 4 inch diameter, but I am not sure.

If you have roosters with huge combs, or ducks...the 3 inch might be too small...

I will tell you the size of mine in the morning.
Actually I think I need to cut the thick part because if not the hole will be almost in the middle of the bucket. What’s the best saw to cut it clean? Miter saw?

Actually I think I need to cut the thick part because if not the hole will be almost in the middle of the bucket. What’s the best saw to cut it clean? Miter saw?

Yes, a miter saw will work good. I cut the smaller end and put the elbow in from the outside. This left a little bigger opening, to stick their head in.

Yes, a miter saw will work good. I cut the smaller end and put the elbow in from the outside. This left a little bigger opening, to stick their head in.
So I had my friend help cut it since he has a miter saw and it didn’t go as well as I had hoped lol.

I am planning on using the cut piece to lock the pipe from the outside to help it not move. However, I am concerned about the jaggedness and how it could scratch my chicks. Any recommendation on smoothing out? Would sandpaper do the work? Or should I wrap something around it?

3376F4BA-9C64-405F-BC99-2365DE2907DE.jpeg
954D1743-6648-4C29-A227-A2E3DD6113EC.jpeg

That should be smoothed out, so there are no sharp edges. If you have a file, use that first, then sandpaper.

Did you use a hand miter saw, not a miter/chop saw(eletric)? You could also use a hack saw, if your cutting more by hand.

That should be smoothed out, so there are no sharp edges. If you have a file, use that first, then sandpaper.

Did you use a hand miter saw, not a miter/chop saw(eletric)? You could also use a hack saw, if your cutting more by hand.
Cool I’ll buy both at Home Depot.
It was an electric miter saw lol. He used a string to cut it first but 1. It wasn’t straight and 2. It melted back together.

Used miter next but the angle was really difficult to hold it steady

Back
Top Bottom