Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
Yes! This thread deserves a bump. Absolutely zero waste, worth every penny to fab up and works perfect for the back yard flock!

Jerry:
Are you using these to feed LF or bantams? Are you confident they are eating as much as they would otherwise? I have been trying one with a trio of LF Wheaten Ameraucanas. I have poop boards in their coop so I can monitor the output. That they are eating is obvious, but I'm concerned they are not eating as much as they would otherwise. Could it be that they don't like sticking their heads inside to eat so they only eat enough to survive? Since this is a breeding trio I want them to be in peek condition. At this point I am not convinced, just starting to wonder. Thanks.

Jerry:
Are you using these to feed LF or bantams? Are you confident they are eating as much as they would otherwise? I have been trying one with a trio of LF Wheaten Ameraucanas. I have poop boards in their coop so I can monitor the output. That they are eating is obvious, but I'm concerned they are not eating as much as they would otherwise. Could it be that they don't like sticking their heads inside to eat so they only eat enough to survive? Since this is a breeding trio I want them to be in peek condition. At this point I am not convinced, just starting to wonder. Thanks.
I am using these on LF and bantam plus a pen with a trio of ducks. I find there is no waste good indoors or out. Snow does not cover the feed like other feeders. I find some birds will not dig through snow covered feed. One feeder that I made had a small ^ break when I cut the flange with the chop saw. This one lets in a little more feed. I was concerned about the ducks getting enough so I gave them this feeder. I have one of these in a pen of 12 birds and they emptied it in about 9-10 days. Seemed about right to me.

Back
Top Bottom