Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
I've got my feeder elevated on an old milk crate in the center of my run. This puts the bottom of the opening about gullet height to my chickens. And the elevating "base", being smaller than the circumfrance of the (garbage can) feeder itself, doesnt create a "step" of any sort for smaller critters to reach holes. Never had an issue with rodents getting in and it stays outside day in, day out, year round, regardless of weather. Of course, I don't live in an area where we have rodents much larger than a roof rat or ground squirrel that could get into the run.

I also used a jig saw since I couldn't see spending $25 for a drill bit for two holes. I started a tad small and used a razor knife to trim the edges to make a tight fit. Be careful with that razor blade, though!!!

I also want to add that I was worried that my chicks would have trouble figuring this feeder out. That was an ill placed fear. They figured it out on no time.

Now, with this feeder and a nipple watering system fed from a rain barrel filled from runoff from my run roof, I could leave my flock for a week or more and they would be ok. A bit messy, but ok.

I made one of these feeders and I'm having the problem that a few other people mentioned; food not automatically filling up to the opening of the elbows. I have 3 of the 3" street elbows in a 5 gallon bucket. The bottom of the elbows are about 3/4" from the bottom of the bucket. I have to shake and spin the bucket to sling food under the elbows, or squeeze my hand into the 3" elbow to scoop food toward the opening. I see people are mentioning 3/4" space from the bottom of the bucket isn't always working and some are recommending 2". Is 2" consistently working or have people had this problem with the elbows inserted at a 2" height?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom