Making soap?

RJSchaefer

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Rockford, IL
I know soap making is the new thing, but I'm not entirely content to do it using purchased ingredients. We're learning how to make lye this summer. I'm putting in a large patch of sunflowers so we can attempt sunflower seed oil.

First we need to figure out how to make the soap itself, though.

I want to make it in a crock pot (small, 1 quart, it was free and I don't care if it gets ruined). I'm also going to be using lard. I've found a bunch of recipes online but they're all for larger batches and seem to expect you to "know" what you need. [More than] A few questions for any soap makers who are inclined to answer!

1. The local hardware store has 100% lye drain cleaner. I've read and been told this is the right stuff. Are the measurements the same?
  2. What equipment do I need? I often see recipes say to use a submersible blender. $$$! Would a stainless steel whisk get the job done?
  3. How long am I dedicating to this project? My daughter gets home from school at 3PM. Would we have enough time between then and lights out at 8PM?
  4. When they say "rubber gloves" do they mean the thick yellow gloves, or any gloves? I usually use the clear, powdered gloves for cleaning because I can buy them 500 at a time for cheap. Good 'nuff, not good 'nuff?
  5. When is it done?? The recipe I'm using says to put it to the side of your tongue. Really? Is that my option?
  6. I'm using lard (I have a ton of it). Is it going to smell like bacon-y lavendar?
  7. What do you use for a mold? Does it matter? I was planning on using a cutesy baking pan that ironically never works for baking.
  8. "Essential oils"? The bulk foods store in town sells food grade oils - essential, not baking. Same thing?
  9. Any tips that a newbie might need? Any extra utensils? I've got a crock pot, a stainless steel whisk (if that will work), a stainless steel ladle, that mold. I use the whisk and ladle for food, although I could designate them soap only.
  10. If the crock pot is a bad way to start, my only other option is an electric burner (stove's deceased). Could I use that with a double boiler? It's the like the Granite Ware canning pot, which is "stainless steel core".

Sorry if these questions seem stupid. I'm really just trying to quadruple-check my bases since my kids (10 and under) will be helping.

I know soap making is the new thing, but I'm not entirely content to do it using purchased ingredients. We're learning how to make lye this summer. I'm putting in a large patch of sunflowers so we can attempt sunflower seed oil.

I want to make it in a crock pot (small, 1 quart, it was free and I don't care if it gets ruined). I'm also going to be using lard. I've found a bunch of recipes online but they're all for larger batches and seem to expect you to "know" what you need. [More than] A few questions for any soap makers who are inclined to answer!

1. The local hardware store has 100% lye drain cleaner. I've read and been told this is the right stuff. Are the measurements the same? What brand? It really does have to be 100%
  2. What equipment do I need? I often see recipes say to use a submersible blender. $$$! Would a stainless steel whisk get the job done? A whisk would work. So would a plain spoon. It will take a long time and you will get very tired before its done. I have done it this way however. A spoon would be better so you arent fluffing it up with lots of air.
  3. How long am I dedicating to this project? My daughter gets home from school at 3PM. Would we have enough time between then and lights out at 8PM? Yes it can be done pretty quickly. How old is your daughter? It is not a safe project for children. Seriously not safe.
  4. When they say "rubber gloves" do they mean the thick yellow gloves, or any gloves? I usually use the clear, powdered gloves for cleaning because I can buy them 500 at a time for cheap. Good 'nuff, not good 'nuff? Any plastic works. Make sure you have vinegar on hand for any splashes.
  5. When is it done?? The recipe I'm using says to put it to the side of your tongue. Really? Is that my option? That is referring to after its molded and hard. I would never do that. Take a small piece and wash your hands with it. Does it leave a slick icky feeling on your hands? Wash with vinegar and wait longer.
  6. I'm using lard (I have a ton of it). Is it going to smell like bacon-y lavendar? Not bacon. If you have a very sensitve nose it might have a slight odor. I do and I dont smell it. You need a harder oil than lard for at least part. Cooking down beef fat tallow is a good hard fat.
  7. What do you use for a mold? Does it matter? I was planning on using a cutesy baking pan that ironically never works for baking. Dont ever make it in metal cooking pans without using something like a plastic bag to line it. You will never get the soap out. I like to line pans with grocery bags making sure there are NO leaks in the plastic.
  8. "Essential oils"? The bulk foods store in town sells food grade oils - essential, not baking. Same thing? Essential oils are oil. Essential oils will lose their scent in all likely hood. The oils you use do not have to be food grade but they should be good quality. I dont know any one who eats shea butter yet that is nice in soap.
  9. Any tips that a newbie might need? Any extra utensils? I've got a crock pot, a stainless steel whisk (if that will work), a stainless steel ladle, that mold. I use the whisk and ladle for food, although I could designate them soap only.I like to use a fan to blow the fumes from the lye out the window.The fumes need to be ventilated. In fact many make their lye mix outside. That lye mix is deadly by the way and should never be around children. Even the soap setting is a bad idea around them. My granddaughter got in some and it made her scream. Use vinegar for any contact. Immediately.
  10. If the crock pot is a bad way to start, my only other option is an electric burner (stove's deceased). Could I use that with a double boiler? It's the like the Granite Ware canning pot, which is "stainless steel core". Cold method, which is easiest, does not use the stove except to heat and melt the oils. The mixing is done off the stove.
  11. Go online and find some soapmaking sites. http://thesage.com is excellent. They sell but they have information on how to make the soap safely and also has a lye calculator for how much of what to add. You need more information before you start. Its not hard to make but it is very important to do it properly for safety sake.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid. I'm really just trying to quadruple-check my bases since my kids (10 and under) will be helping.
With kids under 10 please dont make the soap with them. Prep for oils and getting out of the molds etc would be ok but not the making. It is dangerous.
lye is similar to an acid in that it burns on contact. You wouldnt have battery acid around kids for the same reason you dont want lye around them. In the soap it is changed and is no longer dangerous but before it does change it is.

Last edited:
I am very, very new to making soap. I have taken one class, read tons and tons of books, and just recently bought some ingredients and recipe from an online source. The one thing that cannot be stressed enough is before starting, make sure all children and pets are not in the room. Lye is very dangerous. It is the same thing as Draino!

If you want the children to help, you might want to look into the melt and pour but it does not sound like that route would satisfy your reasons for making soap.

In my class, we did cold process, and used a whisk. It worked really well.

You will need a scale.

Have you looked at any of the Teachsoap dot com tutorials?

1. The local hardware store has 100% lye drain cleaner. I've read and been told this is the right stuff. Are the measurements the same?
  2. What equipment do I need? I often see recipes say to use a submersible blender. $$$! Would a stainless steel whisk get the job done?
  3. How long am I dedicating to this project? My daughter gets home from school at 3PM. Would we have enough time between then and lights out at 8PM?
  4. When they say "rubber gloves" do they mean the thick yellow gloves, or any gloves? I usually use the clear, powdered gloves for cleaning because I can buy them 500 at a time for cheap. Good 'nuff, not good 'nuff?
  5. When is it done?? The recipe I'm using says to put it to the side of your tongue. Really? Is that my option?
  6. I'm using lard (I have a ton of it). Is it going to smell like bacon-y lavendar?
  7. What do you use for a mold? Does it matter? I was planning on using a cutesy baking pan that ironically never works for baking.
  8. "Essential oils"? The bulk foods store in town sells food grade oils - essential, not baking. Same thing?
  9. Any tips that a newbie might need? Any extra utensils? I've got a crock pot, a stainless steel whisk (if that will work), a stainless steel ladle, that mold. I use the whisk and ladle for food, although I could designate them soap only.
  10. If the crock pot is a bad way to start, my only other option is an electric burner (stove's deceased). Could I use that with a double boiler? It's the like the Granite Ware canning pot, which is "stainless steel core".

I'm going to hit your questions in a second. First off, I have been helping my grandmother make soap for close to 20 years. I would start with the simplest recipe and once you have that down pat you can branch off. This is a blog post I did a while back that has our simplest family recipe: http://unlabeledmama.blogspot.com/2010/10/making-soap.html

1. As long as it is Sodium Hydroxide and not Potasium Hydroxide you are fine. You also want to make sure it's not the kind with metal fragments in it.

2. Need? A large glass bowl, wooden spoon and something to melt your fat in. Also something to pour the soap in as a mold. That's it!

3. Oh yes! I can make a batch of soap in about 30-45 minutes (maybe a little longer if it is warm, then it takes longer for the lye to cool.)

4. Any gloves!

5. Seriously? Put it on your tongue? That's crazy! When you are stirring it should be the consistency of pudding. It need to be in the molds 24 hours before you put them out and cut them and then sit for 2 weeks while the lye leaches out.

6. As long as it's rendered you will be fine.

7. Just not metal. I use silverware organizers (pics in blog).

8. Any essential oils!

9. Not metal! You want to use glass or wood. Plastic is okay as well, but the lye will ruin it eventually.

10. I melt my fats in the microwave or on the stove. It doesn't matter!

I started helping my grandmother at about 12 years old. As long as your daughter is careful she should be fine!

You ladies are awesome.

I'm working on a second batch right now. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing this a lot until I feel "confident", same as I did with cheese. =) It's olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil for "superfat". I used the Nesco straight out the gate and so far it's going fabulously. The other batch is setting up in the mold and seems to be doing well considering the snafoo earlier.

This batch is getting some cocoa, vanilla beans and cinnamon (with luck).

My oldest is quite careful. She's good about keeping her distance when I say "stay back" and following precautions as outlined. Now my 8 year old...oy vey. I wouldn't let her come out here without a hazmat suit. She exists in her own little world!

I always liked cocoa soap! That is one that the scent, light but there, survives the gelling.
So you make cheese? I want to make some cheese curds. I love them but cant really afford them. Do I buy the cheddar cheese starter? Or whatever thats called! lol After it makes the curds I just dont put in a press? Any hints? :D
Pretty much. There are good recipes on cheesemaking dot com. You still need a press for cheddared curds, but it can be anything. Mine was a strainer lined with cloth, apply cheese, top with a plate and topped with a gallon of milk. Then you just break up the big block, toss in salt and enjoy the curds.

Edited to add: you need mesophilic culture for cheddar. There are ways to make it at home with buttermilk, but I haven't had a lot of success with it. Last time I tried, I left the buttermilk out for a little too long and ended up making rancid cheese.
sad.png

Last edited:
I have always stirred with a long handled wooden spoon and poured the soap into wooden boxes made for soap. The soap sets in the boxes until it is firm enough to be turned out onto racks to air dry, which takes a couple of weeks and longer if the humidity is high.

Since this is an old post, I hope that you have not given up on making your own soap and that you have found a recipe that works for you.

THis is helpful. I have worried that the soap might firm up too fast and become too solid to form or pour into boxes. I'm hoping to pick the brains of a friend that made the most gorgeous soaps a few years ago. Works of art. Me? I'm happy with rustic and practical. lol

LOl I would be in heaven with a 55 gal drum of it. I use it for a lot of things, but very sparingly to make it last as it has ben really expensive to find. 1 jar was $11 at the local grocery. DOnt think they sold much and so dont sell it anymore. At the store next door it was a one off thing at $5 for the same jar. I bought 6 and hoard it. lol

So thanks for the new source to buy it!!

Quote: I clean out tomato IMMEDIATELy . . . soap and warm water asap. Usually works. Dawn has been helpful in this respect. I havent tried homemade .

Quote: ROFL I sure need an apron in the kitchen . . maybe one for each day of the week!!! Our grandmothers knew what they were doing when they wore aprons. Ya, chocolate is a bugger. GIven the oil/fat component of chocolate, perhaps a direct application of soap and scrub it a bit and rinse with warm water.

Back
Top Bottom