Making the most of it.

Awwww, I think I understand what you are feeling and know that things will become more interesting at some point! It's like everything is grey, no color left in the world - at least that is how it was for me. It does get better! I hope your sister is on the mend. And it takes so much effort to acquire a property, you can't expect all the improvements to happen right away. Before you know it, things will start to fall in to place. I can't have a rooster, so any that I hatch either go into my stew pot, or get donated to the feed store - I can't imagine they do anything but go into a fighting ring (I hope not) or into someone's stew pot. But, once I turn them over, I no longer worry about them. Good luck with your number 2 roo!
Thank you... My sister has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer but she is a fighter!!!! So i have hope. Today.. My niece called and asked how many chickens do I have room for. I told her as many as you need. She is feeling overwhelmed managing the farm essentially by herself right now.. I told her she needed her folks permission first though so we will see what happens.. She did have good news. Her goat had a baby this morning!!! Good to hear the lightness in her voice. So now I need to get my barn ready!!!!! Lol ready or not here I go!!!

So I went this morning to spend time with my sister... About 2 she says.. Ohh the girls are on their way to drop off chickens.. I was not prepared!!! Had nothing set so sped off to meet them at my house. They decided to drop off 4 pullets.. And our only option was just tossing them in with everyone else. Chet, my brother in law was enamored by my EE roo so he ended up taking him. I watched them and there was no fighting so I call that a win. I understamd you should quarenteen but this kinda just snuck up so fingers crossed. Hope you all have a great night.

I was so excited to start on my blog again only to be hit with really bad health. I dont know whats going on... But since the end of January my body went into a full relapse... I find it hard to walk even 2 ft... My stomach is a full fermentory.. I shake.. My heart races.. I cant breathe.. Often I dont want to speak to others.... Just so much work to talk.... I started a probiotic regimen 2 weeks ago.. Im scared to go back to the doctors cuz when I last went in for these symptoms she didnt even care.. So whats the point... Some how through this... We, meaning my hubby has planted 2 plumb trees and I was able to plant a bucket of radishes.. Not feeling hopeful for either... I need... I mean, I need healing.. Just enough to get around and care for the kids.. This is where I am at and it sucks....

I guess I shouldnt leave on such a negative mood so let me tell ya about what has happened. We got 4 beautiful ducks.. They are only about 8 week oldish so I dont know if they are male or female. I am more content in the country now and really do love my house... Minus one toilet... Maybe I can make a composting toilet at some point. We got a cat... Or should I say a cat was given to us.

But I love him. We are still treading along. I gotta believe this will be the year of healing for both my sister, who is kicking cancers ass!!!!! And myself. Much love on this tiny nano farm I call home.

One last post before I fall asleep... Sometimes a diary like medium is good for the soul... My folks dont know how bad its gotten... I havent been spending the time with them or my sister... Often just giving excuses for my absense. Their plate is full... I have filled that plate for so much of the last 12ish years that I refuse to be that burden again. My husband tries to understand but he cant... No one can. Im tired.. Im tired all the time. I dont sleep... I mourn for my kids... I think about my sister 24/7. My weight is not even close to hers and I digress deaper into the abyss of why.

I gotta try... I gotta find a way and just do. Im almost at the point of hopeless but wont give up. I have zero choice. I gotta DO!!!! I need to know how. I will find it. Somewhere is an answer. Well... This mamma is tired. Until tomorrow.

Woke up slightly better today but nit healed.. I was able to do a little grocery shopping and took tats to Tacoma for the week. I came home and stared cleaning the kitchen.. This mamma is a moron. Yesterday I thought I washed and packaged all my eggs... Saw my ice cream bucket in the sink that I use to collect eggs and started cleaning it.... Ooppps their were two of the buckets stacked ontop of each other so under the first bucket was another dozen eggs that were left out soaking in water all night. It killed me just a bit to toss all those beautiful eggs away... I thought my numbers looked short yesterday.. Oh well lesson learned.

Ive decided that Tomorrow or so I am going to make a batch of bone broth.. I bought a whole chicken today. Think I will do the crock pot version for 24 hours. The kids want to try it too.. I guess Ill start with drinking a cup of it a day and see what happens. Wonder how much broth one chicken will make. Wish us luck on our new experiement.

20180429_154838.jpg

A good lift me up. A game of stratego with the kid.

Good luck with the bone broth, Linda. There are so many ways to make it. My MIL liked pork and beef, and I roasted the bones before simmering to give it some extra flavor. I even put a little ginger root in for her which she liked too.
My favorite was beef bones and turkey necks. I roasted those too, and gave the turkey meat to the very happy dogs. Hope it helps, and if it doesn't, you have the base for some awesome soup. :)
Let us know how it comes out.

Any time you eat meat, save the bones in the freezer until you have enough to cook up another batch of broth. It's the connective tissues (the tough stuff- like cartilage, tendons, gristle) that add the collagen that makes it gel. Chicken feet are great for that, so you could add a pack of those with your chicken and it will come out better. The more bones the better, so don't be afraid to add extra.

Last edited:
Good luck with the bone broth, Linda. There are so many ways to make it. My MIL liked pork and beef, and I roasted the bones before simmering to give it some extra flavor. I even put a little ginger root in for her which she liked too.
My favorite was beef bones and turkey necks. I roasted those too, and gave the turkey meat to the very happy dogs. Hope it helps, and if it doesn't, you have the base for some awesome soup. :)
Let us know how it comes out.

Any time you eat meat, save the bones in the freezer until you have enough to cook up another batch of broth. It's the connective tissues (the tough stuff- like cartilage, tendons, gristle) that add the collagen that makes it gel. Chicken feet are great for that, so you could add a pack of those with your chicken and it will come out better. The more bones the better, so don't be afraid to add extra.
Im having to change the way I shop cuz I buy boneless everything. I think the chicken roaster will be a good starting point. Devin and the kids all want to do it too so thats extra encouragement. Its tough finding good meats to use. The chicken I found said all natural no msg or antibiotics or steroids but I couldnt find grass fed.. Oh well. One step at a time!!!!

That's great they want to try it too. Grass fed is ideal, but you will benefit from the regular grades too. Bones got very expensive when bone broth became a fad several years ago.
I wanted to ask, do you still have your tortoise? amd your puppers?

Back
Top Bottom