Male duck making strange noise (from his bottom?)

Kerya

Songster
Nov 1, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hello all, I’m not sure the last time I’ve posted but I now have 7 ducks.
The 4 new members are over 4 months old, 3 boys and 1 girl.

My biggest of the babies is Eggnog, and recently he started lifting himself in the water (like bicycle kicks) and making a strange noise.
He mostly does this in the water, but when on land dips his butt as if it feels uncomfortable.
Outside of this, he’s 100% normal in his behaviour.

Not too long ago, another one of the boys named Scrump started doing this as well.
Any help would be much appreciated!
I’ll include a Twitter video of the noise, and pictures of the updated flock for cuteness.

Attachments

• B6CB2DA9-007B-47A2-9E3A-379A91A08728.jpeg
    B6CB2DA9-007B-47A2-9E3A-379A91A08728.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 50
  • FB208B2B-1C01-4909-AA0C-5D48376B06E3.jpeg
    FB208B2B-1C01-4909-AA0C-5D48376B06E3.jpeg
    991.8 KB · Views: 14
Perfectly normal! All of my boys do this as a form of communication. They basically just puff themselves up and do a little whistle to feel big and bad. I've seen my drakes sit in each other's faces doing it to challenge each other until one backs off, and I've seen the drake that stays with my hens do it when he wants to mate.

Perfectly normal! All of my boys do this as a form of communication. They basically just puff themselves up and do a little whistle to feel big and bad. I've seen my drakes sit in each other's faces doing it to challenge each other until one backs off, and I've seen the drake that stays with my hens do it when he wants to mate.
Ohhhh okay!! I’m glad it’s normal, I’ve never had boys before so I’ve never heard this from them haha!
They must be getting all their boy ducky hormones and are starting to dominate the pool lol!

Biggest boy does it the most, but my smallest started doing it with him 😳

Ahh, thank you!! I’ve never had boys before so it’s a new noise I didn’t see anyone talking about 👏
The boys are very funny
Sometimes mine will stand up tall and run in a circle when they see me all excited as well
They also puff the head and neck feathers up too
You have beautiful ducks :)

The boys are very funny
Sometimes mine will stand up tall and run in a circle when they see me all excited as well
They also puff the head and neck feathers up too
You have beautiful ducks :)
Wait is them puffing up excitement??!! I thought they were mad every time I entered a room lmao!! They’ll puff up and squawk, while the girl yells as loud as possible 😆💕

They are quite funny, it’s been cool to learn the differences between them and my other girls! Also thank you! My first hand raised ducks from eggs 💕

Back
Top Bottom