Male duck not interested in female duck

:welcome

It could be the time of year, my drakes aren't near randy as they were even a month ago.
As long as he isn't sick probably time of year.

How long have you had the females?
My male Pekins are 5 months old and super "friendly" with the females. I have to go out when I hear a commotion from the other ducks to break it up before it starts if they're after a certain female too much. Two of my Three aren't nearly as bad as one of them. He gets put in the outdoor pen which we now call "solitary" when he gets get after the girls too much. He'll even chase around our silver Swedish and try to make them outside the water by grabbing them by the back while they're trying to run away. For some reason he doesn't do that with any of the other Swedish (blue or black swedish) or our pekin female but he does it with the two silvers. When he goes into solitary we keep him in there for a couple hours and then let him out, he gives me a piece of his mind, goes and tells the other ducks all about it and then is good for awhile..... usually. He's such a sweetheart but he definitely has a higher drive than the other two boys. My neighbors probably wonder what in the world's going on when I'm yelling PETER!! Leave those girls alone! We plan to have a separated enclosure hopefully sometime soon. They're separated at night but their outdoor enclosure will probably need to be as well. They spend most those day right now free ranging the property, staying close to the house.
Photo of Peter attached..... he's the one with the mud mask

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_073737387.jpg
    IMG_20230729_073737387.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 6
My male Pekins are 5 months old and super "friendly" with the females. I have to go out when I hear a commotion from the other ducks to break it up before it starts if they're after a certain female too much. Two of my Three aren't nearly as bad as one of them. He gets put in the outdoor pen which we now call "solitary" when he gets get after the girls too much. He'll even chase around our silver Swedish and try to make them outside the water by grabbing them by the back while they're trying to run away. For some reason he doesn't do that with any of the other Swedish (blue or black swedish) or our pekin female but he does it with the two silvers. When he goes into solitary we keep him in there for a couple hours and then let him out, he gives me a piece of his mind, goes and tells the other ducks all about it and then is good for awhile..... usually. He's such a sweetheart but he definitely has a higher drive than the other two boys. My neighbors probably wonder what in the world's going on when I'm yelling PETER!! Leave those girls alone! We plan to have a separated enclosure hopefully sometime soon. They're separated at night but their outdoor enclosure will probably need to be as well. They spend most those day right now free ranging the property, staying close to the house.
Photo of Peter attached..... he's the one with the mud mask
As the winter comes the hormones will settle
Often year one the boys are very high Driven
Most drakes pick a favourite girl and those they tend to mate the most
Some girls want this and others don’t
Each year it gets a bit better

His favorite girl as far as cuddle/napping buddy is our little pekin who he grew up with along with the other Pekins but seems to prefer mating the silver swedish duo regardless of where they are. I was advised by another experienced duck owner that it would progress and next spring/summer most likely be worse as well as possible fighting between males. She advised rehoming two of my three drakes for various understandable reasons but I can't bring myself to do it.

His favorite girl as far as cuddle/napping buddy is our little pekin who he grew up with along with the other Pekins but seems to prefer mating the silver swedish duo regardless of where they are. I was advised by another experienced duck owner that it would progress and next spring/summer most likely be worse as well as possible fighting between males. She advised rehoming two of my three drakes for various understandable reasons but I can't bring myself to do it.
Really depends on the birds
I have 15 girls and 4 drakes
3 of my boys goes after 3 of my girls the most
Overtime it’s got better
But my birds also know the word no amd I can usually stop them
Daisy will run and hide behind me :)

Overtime it’s got better
It's interesting how they choose their favorite duck or ducks even though they have several options. Peter, my biggest drake is the worst when it comes to going after the girls. And the boys are so familiar with me that I go over and just pick him up and move him, he doesn't run away. It's so much so that the ducks can be in the pool and when Peter jumps in they all jump out 😆. They don't usually do that with the other boys. Of course there are times the ladies initiate (or sometimes tease and when the drake reciprocates they take off) but eventually they're like Ok man, we've had enough, go find a new hobby.

I'm still waiting for those hormones to settle lol. Peter and Buddy's have toned down but Chucks have increased.

I had a seasoned duck farmer, who's written books on raising poultry says they get worse as the years go by

Overtime it’s got better
My boys understand No also but when it comes to getting busy only one is pretty much guaranteed to always listen, the other two I have to go over to them and pick them up to separate.

I had a seasoned duck farmer, who's written books on raising poultry says they get worse as the years go by
I guess it goes by each drakes personality as well
My 3 older boys are relaxed right now
But my young drake less then a year is chasing girls down in freezing cold temps
We got to -54 C windchills and in the outdoor enclosed area I was able to get the temp around -30C
He was still mating
Some have zero control of their hormone 😂

Back
Top Bottom