Male or Female Bronze Turkey??? 14 weeks!

BrineChickFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Hi there! I was wondering if you all could help me figure out if I have a tom here or not. I have 3 bronze turkeys, all are pets, but I would like to know if I have a tom(s) or not. Here is a picture of my Charlie (Charlize??)

I discovered a wierd growth on about 1/2 of our turkeys chests at about 12 weeks old. at first I thought it was a tick, then some sort of ingrown feathers, then I realized, only the boys had them.

Then it DAWNED on me, Puberty has hit and they were beginning to grow BEARDS!!!

I have heard females can get them, but check for a wierd dark bump low on the neck near the crop in the center of the chest. if you look close and kind of rub it, you will see individual hairs sprouting

Just saying you might want to check them

the experts will hopefully chime in

RobertH

Last edited:
Hi there! I was wondering if you all could help me figure out if I have a tom here or not. I have 3 bronze turkeys, all are pets, but I would like to know if I have a tom(s) or not. Here is a picture of my Charlie (Charlize??)

and just to be a smart @@#$ the one on the right is a guinea
gig.gif

RobertH

I don't, but if Charlie is a boy, then Chester has to be a boy as well since they have similar features. He is pictured to the left of charlie in the picture with the guinea. However, he doesnt display like my little Charlie does. Baby must be a hen then, because she doesnt have any of the same features, or at least not yet. She's always been smaller than the other two though, so it might just be a matter of time. I hope I dont have 3 Toms! I doubt my little darlings will get along well then when they are grown. :( I'll post better pics of the other two this afternoon, as well as checkingfor a beard.

yea post pics and I can look at them. charlie is 100% tom for sure. Also look at the snood, a male extends and retracts his a female does not and a females snood is erect and alot smaller than a males.

Hi everyone, quick update..Charlie has the beardy thingy on his chest. I couldn't find one on Chester or baby. But I do believe Charlie must be slightly older than the others. No more than a week though. Below is Chester

And here is baby, who is rather camera shy.

Also, you said you thought they were a mixed breed, do you know what with? It isn't relevant but I was just curious. We got them from a local breeder who takes good care of their animals (they have everything from chickens to emus), but don't seem to know their breeds very well. The rooster they sold us was supposed to be a dark brahma but looks more like a brahma barred rock cross. (Just as an example) And they told us the Sicilan Butterups would lay brown eggs, but they lay small white eggs and are not cold hardy at all!!

Back
Top Bottom