MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Hi! So I inherited some ducks when we moved into our new place. 2 Mallard Drake's, 1 female, 1 Rouen Drake, and a female Khaki Campbell. We lost the Campbell but since then have picked up 6 Muscovy, and a new Campbell Drake/female. My two little Mallards are hilarious but they have been trying to mate with the Campbell like crazy. My ratio is off and I'm working on fixing it but not sure why they ignore the Mallard female? Should I just get some more CKs? Don't plan on hatching eggs from them. Is it normal for them to fixate on a different breed. My poor girl has been hanging with Muscovies instead of the small ducks.

Last edited:
It's been awhile sense I posted on here! I have a ton of pictures of Merry, Samwise, and Pippin!

Pippin.

Merry.

Pippin.

Merry.

Pippin and Merry.

Same here too.

Pippin.

Pippin.

Samwise.

Merry.

Merry, Samwise, and Pippin!

And here Merry laid two eggs in one day!

Here is a video.
0.jpg

I like the hobbit names.

This is from the same place as i posted before in this thread. There is kinda a dilemma with these ducks - they want them gone and feeding them is not allowed.
They put up a sign in the middle of the winter with the message that feeding is not allowed in hope that the ducks would "fly away" (even tho there is ice everywhere else basically lol).
Same thing happend some years ago and that resulted in that alot of the ducks actually died due to lack of food and that it was freezing.

Last year someone poisoned the ducks with rat poison and alot of them died.
Same thing happend this year 2 times - and around 200 mallards died. They dont know who did it.

Even tho feeding is not allowed - me and some other volunteers are feeding them around 330-661 pounds of grain some days every week.
The plan is to stop doing it when the ice is gone so they can fly away/swim away and find their own food - but for now we will keep doing it.

Last edited:
This is from the same place as i posted before in this thread. There is kinda a dilemma with these ducks - they want them gone and feeding them is not allowed. They put up a sign in the middle of the winter with the message that feeding is not allowed in hope that the ducks would "fly away" (even tho there is ice everywhere else basically lol). Same thing happend some years ago and that resulted in that alot of the ducks actually died due to lack of food and that it was freezing. Last year someone poisoned the ducks with rat poison and alot of them died. Same thing happend this year 2 times - and around 200 mallards died. They dont know who did it. Even tho feeding is not allowed - me and some other volunteers are feeding them around [COLOR=212121]330-661 pounds of grain some days every week. The plan is to stop doing it when the ice is gone so they can fly away/swim away and find their own food - but for now we will keep doing it.[/COLOR]
That makes me very sad and mad. But to focus on the positive, thank you for feeding the sweet birds. I'm hoping they fly away soon.

That makes me very sad and mad. But to focus on the positive, thank you for feeding the sweet birds. I'm hoping they fly away soon.

I almost cried over this, someone posioning the ducks.. Wow ... Keep doing what your doing, they will naturally fly away based off my experience with wild ducks who visit every year, and yes I "feed" then because I can't stop them from eating when I feed my ducks in the property. Never had a problem with them staying for food, we get close to 200 wild a year and they always leave when it's time.

Hi! So I inherited some ducks when we moved into our new place. 2 Mallard Drake's, 1 female, 1 Rouen Drake, and a female Khaki Campbell. We lost the Campbell but since then have picked up 6 Muscovy, and a new Campbell Drake/female. My two little Mallards are hilarious but they have been trying to mate with the Campbell like crazy. My ratio is off and I'm working on fixing it but not sure why they ignore the Mallard female? Should I just get some more CKs? Don't plan on hatching eggs from them. Is it normal for them to fixate on a different breed. My poor girl has been hanging with Muscovies instead of the small ducks.

Yeah, pretty normal! I had one drake and four females; my Mallard lady rarely got love, and one of my Welsh Harlequin girls had a bare back neck! They do seem to pick favorites. If your ratio is off, I would definitely suggest adding more girls! ;) If you can't, you can also get rid of some males, but they can be hard to re-home.

If you don't plan to hatch their eggs, make sure you pick them up daily. Some hens can go "broody" which means they'll start trying to lay on their eggs and hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom