Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Well chicks are home. MHP is too tall and unfortunately we are only left to supplement with a heat lamp as well but they seem happy. I just went home to do a head count and check butts and the temp. I think I'm going to have to talk hubby into figuring something out about making MHP shorter by at least an inch. I feel like I'm worrying too much but on the same hand they're so itty bitty if something was to go wrong I would feel awful.

HELLO!
I am so happy that my heating pad idea has taken off and many people are giving baby chicks a happier more natural life! I only just found out that this idea of mine took off from one of your members who saw my youtube video that I posted two years ago. I hope to learn and share more on this site! Here is the original video. Sunbeam pads have evolved a bit.. Mine was a simple king size with no auto shutoff feature. The chicks were outdoors in my other invention; a mobile solar chicken house. The chicks could go in and out whenever they wanted and there was pleanty of roam to run and play on green grass inside. Take a peek!

Well chicks are home. MHP is too tall and unfortunately we are only left to supplement with a heat lamp as well but they seem happy. I just went home to do a head count and check butts and the temp. I think I'm going to have to talk hubby into figuring something out about making MHP shorter by at least an inch. I feel like I'm worrying too much but on the same hand they're so itty bitty if something was to go wrong I would feel awful.
people have put straw or something inside so the chicks are closer to the HP if you can not smouch it down.. they will need the height in a couple of days

No change in pip over night.. :( ..I know, I know, it can take 24 hours.
But it's a very small pip, no breathing seen and no peeping was ever heard...so am a bit concerned and/or rankled.
Maybe she's just a silent, sneaky one.

Was really hoping to have a few out and dry by the time I picked up the mill chicks today to avoid any territorial issues...
....and of course, worst case scenario always crosses my mind... OhNo, none are going to hatch!
Just venting....it's  probably going to be an anxious day.

I hear you it is agonizing waiting for them to appear once that first pip happens. I know the feeling about second guessing if anyone will hatch. I have been an emotional mess this time, with the bator spike and losing 20 eggs early. I was hoping to hatch a Blue Amerecauna, so I was playing the numbers game cause I got a mix of BBS eggs. Now my chance has reduced, so hoping for a black roo and some splash females so I can make my own Blues. Anyway, I even told my BF I wasn't going to hatch next year and I was over this hatch, in the midst of my emotional upheaval over the spike. I candle tonight so we will see.

:frow. Sorry my multi-quote buttons have disappeared, so bare with me while I respond individually. :rolleyes:

HELLO!
  I am so happy that my heating pad idea has taken off and many people are giving baby chicks a happier more natural life!  I only just  found out that this idea of mine took off from one of your members who saw my youtube video that I posted two years ago.  I hope to learn and share more on this site!  Here is the original video. Sunbeam pads have evolved a bit..  Mine was a simple king size with no auto shutoff feature. The chicks were outdoors in my other invention; a mobile solar chicken house. The chicks could go in and out whenever they wanted and there was pleanty of roam to run and play on green grass inside. Take a peek!

Hello and welcome!! I'd like to thank you for making the original video and getting this whole idea rolling!! It really is a fantastic method!!

Quote:
That would be TOO FUNNY! Kind of like not being able to find your glasses .... then you realize you are wearing them.

Trying the link again
wink.png

They sure look happy and healthy. I hope your losses were just congenital and the rest are fine.

I have had my chicks for 4 days inside with a heat lamp. I needed to make a bigger brooder and was going to make an outside coop in the big girls run with this set up, would that work?

It should. You might have to show them the cave a few times since they have so far lived in a constant temperature environment and they don't have to go find "mama" when the cool down.

HELLO!
I am so happy that my heating pad idea has taken off and many people are giving baby chicks a happier more natural life! I only just found out that this idea of mine took off from one of your members who saw my youtube video that I posted two years ago. I hope to learn and share more on this site! Here is the original video. Sunbeam pads have evolved a bit.. Mine was a simple king size with no auto shutoff feature. The chicks were outdoors in my other invention; a mobile solar chicken house. The chicks could go in and out whenever they wanted and there was pleanty of roam to run and play on green grass inside. Take a peek!

welcome-byc.gif
Patrice!

That would be TOO FUNNY! Kind of like not being able to find your glasses .... then you realize you are wearing them. 

They sure look happy and healthy. I hope your losses were just congenital and the rest are fine.

It should. You might have to show them the cave a few times since they have so far lived in a constant temperature  environment and they don't have to go find "mama" when the cool down.

:welcome  Patrice!

LOL right!? My mom has done that a few times and I've been known to ask where my phone is while holding it

Back
Top Bottom