Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

So eggciting, aart! what breeds are the mill chicks?
Welll....hrrmm...grrrr...they call them Araucanas.
the hatchery they came from calls them "Araucana Ameraucana-Strain".
https://townlinehatchery.com/product/araucana-ameraucana-strain/

I call them ArauKindas.....hahaha!
Time will tell what I actually have, not all are clearly chipmunk striped,
and some have flat wyandotte type combs.
But they all appear to have puffy cheeks and some have greenish/slateish legs.
I didn't pick them out of the box, the mill did.
If I get just 2 blue egg layers out of the 6 I will be happy, and the rest will be sold at POL.

Welll....hrrmm...grrrr...they call them Araucanas.
the hatchery they came from calls them "Araucana Ameraucana-Strain".
https://townlinehatchery.com/product/araucana-ameraucana-strain/

I call them ArauKindas.....hahaha!
Time will tell what I actually have, not all are clearly chipmunk striped,
and some have flat wyandotte type combs.
But they all appear to have puffy cheeks and some have greenish/slateish legs.
I didn't pick them out of the box, the mill did.
If I get just 2 blue egg layers out of the 6 I will be happy, and the rest will be sold at POL.
Those would be Easter Eggers.

Quote: Expensive!!!
They've worked well for many folks, but I've also read about many failures.
Not sure I'd trust it 100%, but it sure might be convenient if one gets up late or is away from home past dark frequently, or might be the only way to go if everyone in the household is away for work everyday.
I didn't start chickens until after I 'retired', can't imagine doing them while I was working full time and gone 10 hours a day.

Automatic doors..... Worth it or not? Go
smile.png
I have a couple that sometimes do not go in... I put the money towards building a predator proof run instead. But that's me..also I do not have electric out there LOL

Expensive!!!
They've worked well for many folks, but I've also read about many failures.
Not sure I'd trust it 100%, but it sure might be convenient if one gets up late or is away from home past dark frequently, or might be the only way to go if everyone in the household is away for work everyday.
I didn't start chickens until after I 'retired', can't imagine doing them while I was working full time and gone 10 hours a day.

I've had the ador door for a couple of years and I love it. I first ordered it when I lived in the city and had the chickens on my country property. It has worked great with a few exceptions. You need to change the battery very occasionally. I have brought mine in to charge 3 times in two years. The other issue I had was when it got very cold some of my screws must not have been tight enough because the metal must have flexed just enough to cause it to not want to open. When I tightened the screws I've not ever had the problem again so I would call that installation error more than anything. LOVE my automatic pop door. It is my daily entertainment to sit on my front porch and listen to the girls line up at the starting line. When the door opens the pitter patter of little feet running out the door is fun. It is a chicken stampede. :)

Back
Top Bottom