Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Howdy y'all,
263a.png

My chicks are two weeks old today, and they are doing great! Here is a picture of the dog crate I have the MHP set up in. As you can see, the coop itself is about a foot wider on each side, and there Is another two feet or so behind the crate. The door that opens into the enclosed run is toward the back of the coop on the left hand side. I open that door every morning, and close it at dusk. My question is, at what point do I remove the crate and give them the space of the entire coop? Once I do, should I keep opening the door to the run? It's supposed to be in the upper 60's to low 70's all this week, so I'm thinking I should keep them inside the crate for now. My biggest concern right now is that if I give them full run of the coop and they make their way outside, will they be able to find their way back up the ramp to the MHP if they get chilled? Thanks for all of the advice so far. You all ROCK!!
1f603.png

Donna
Can you give them full access to the coop but close off access to the run for now?
Nice job on HCing the crate!
I'd cut the extra long screw ends off the door hinges...or re-drive them into a block of wood.

Can you give them full access to the coop but close off access to the run for now?
Nice job on HCing the crate!
I'd cut the extra long screw ends off the door hinges...or re-drive them into a block of wood.

Yes, I can close off the door to the run. Should I close off the nest boxes too? They seem to be able to hop/fly well enough to get back and forth across the 1"X2" that is in front of the nest box. I put the HC on the crate using zip ties.
263a.png
I DO plan on removing those screws before letting them out of the crate, as well as cutting some ventilation holes in the coop, since it has none.
1f615.png
In fact, I need to do that before closing off the door to the run.

Donna

Yeah I'd close off the nests for now.
I'm assuming you have no other birds that need to lay there...
...OR integrate with the new chicks.

X 2. As I am just starting over with a new flock in or new home I have no older/laying birds to worry about so I've closed the nests off completely for the time being. ...

They are external nests....and ate behind the piece of paneling seen on the right

Go to your local hardware store and pick up some long bolts and washers. Bricks are not going to cut it.

I used threaded rod and washer/nut combo top and bottom of the rack, loveit! Having washers and nuts above and below gives great stability to the legs and it's so easy to adjust

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I've made one for my week-old chicks who arrived yesterday. After putting them in the brooder, they waltzed on over to their cave as if they always had one.. They really seem to enjoy running in and out, taking cat (chick?)-naps on the top, and generally jumping around all over and around it.

Turning to my trusty MHP group because you're always quick to answer! :) What type of material would you/have you all used for the roof of your runs metal or plastic?

My previous runs have all simply been wire topped to prevent entry from above. The run under construction will have a metal roof simply because we have enough roofing to do it

Back
Top Bottom