Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I had this happen the night our power went out. See if this fixes it. You know where the plug goes into the pad itself? Unplug that and wait a few seconds. Do the same with where it plugs into the electrical outlet. Plug it back in as firmly as you can. Wrap some electrical tape around the pad-to-plug connection firmly. I think in our case what happened had nothing to do with the power outage itself, but moisture from the snow and driving winds forcing it in prevented it from making a good connection when the power came back on. Let me know if that works. They should probably be fine without it but since I've never had Silkies before I don't know enough about them to just tell you to let them be. They won't need it very high, just enough to take any chill off. From what I understand because their feathers feel more like hair than actual feathers, they can feel the chill a little more. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.....

yes mine is a smaller one... cheaper and hopefully will help control chicken math
lau.gif

edit for spelling

Thanks for the information. I find a larger version on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-732-5...453672544&sr=1-5&keywords=Sunbeam+Heating+Pad

Ok question for you seasoned chicken owners! We had a blizzard here in MD and got 32"! Anyway, I just got out to them today since Friday night and they're doing fine. The heating pad quit at some point since Friday. It was off when I went out there, and it won't come back on. I'm trying to fix it, but I'm wondering if they need it? They don't seem bothered at all. They're just over 5 weeks old. And for full disclosure, they're silkies. What do you think?

I don't know about power outages but early last week I broke out my MHP for its more frequent, off label
wink.png
use, on my back. I forgot that you can't plug the cord to the wall then plug it into the pad, you have to do it the other way around (I have no idea why, unless they are afraid you would touch the live contacts). So try unplugging it from the wall, then back in. It IS possible that there was a surge when the power went out? Could be that would fry the controller.

Sorry, don't know about silkies specifically but the general chick rule is they don't need heat once they are fully feathered which is typically 4 weeks. If yours have been out in the coop with their MHP from early on, I suspect they (as seems to be the case with broody and MHP brooded chicks) probably feathered out early compared to those raised in 95F 24x7 heat lamp chicks.

The woman I got them from bought them at a farm store. I think it was rural king. A lot of people here have posted about they think there were mix ups. Mine do not have yellow bottoms of feet and I do wonder what I have. I figure I will see how big they get. One is bigger than the others. They were from a May hatch and I read it can take 18 months for them to reach full size
edit to add they look like BA or BJG and added pic of frost bitten flock LOL

Looks like you need a ventilation redo on your coop. The rooster seems to have taken a big hit but there is a lot of pale on the top of the bird in front as well.

Looks like maybe you have BAs rather than BJGs, especially if they have pale foot bottoms. They come in various sizes. My 2 from 2012 are so different in size that I was afraid one was a cockerel for the longest time. She brooded the 7 chicks from Meyer. When she wanted to warn off the other hens, she stood tall, flared all her feathers and opened her wings; I swear she looked like a small turkey. I haven't weighed any of my girls but I bet she is 25% bigger than the next biggest girl. We will see how big the WRs and BJG/BAs get.

Looks like you need a ventilation redo on your coop. The rooster seems to have taken a big hit but there is a lot of pale on the top of the bird in front as well.

Looks like maybe you have BAs rather than BJGs, especially if they have pale foot bottoms. They come in various sizes. My 2 from 2012 are so different in size that I was afraid one was a cockerel for the longest time. She brooded the 7 chicks from Meyer. When she wanted to warn off the other hens, she stood tall, flared all her feathers and opened her wings; I swear she looked like a small turkey. I haven't weighed any of my girls but I bet she is 25% bigger than the next biggest girl. We will see how big the WRs and BJG/BAs get.
one of the vents got closed on the night this happened. The roos waddles were very swollen and have gone down.
Currently they are in a 4x4x4 dog house I put 6 2x8 vents in. I had to put a new roof on it and there is a 1/4' gap around 3 sides below the roof. Yes it still needs more though. I am building a predator proof hoop run and larger house for them. The run is close to done and have not started on the house. figured if I get the run done I could move the little house in there and leave the pop door open

I had this happen the night our power went out.  See if this fixes it.  You know where the plug goes into the pad itself?  Unplug that and wait a few seconds. Do the same with where it plugs into the electrical outlet.  Plug it back in as firmly as you can.  Wrap some electrical tape around the pad-to-plug connection firmly.  I think in our case what happened had nothing to do with the power outage itself, but moisture from the snow and driving winds forcing it in prevented it from making a good connection when the power came back on.  Let me know if that works.  They should probably be fine without it but since I've never had Silkies before I don't know enough about them to just tell you to let them be.  They won't need it very high, just enough to take any chill off.  From what I understand because their feathers feel more like hair than actual feathers, they can feel the chill a little more.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.....

Well we never lost power, but you're right, moisture got in the control box :( I opened it up and there was ice in there. I dried it all well and tried doing what you suggested but it's dead. I heard it was supposed to get down to 10 tonight so I made a trip to our supermarket and fortunately they had one that doesn't shut off unless you turn it off. So we're back in business! Now to get over the next hurdle of integrating my new babies.

Well we never lost power, but you're right, moisture got in the control box
sad.png
I opened it up and there was ice in there. I dried it all well and tried doing what you suggested but it's dead. I heard it was supposed to get down to 10 tonight so I made a trip to our supermarket and fortunately they had one that doesn't shut off unless you turn it off. So we're back in business! Now to get over the next hurdle of integrating my new babies.
Ooh, scary! Glad you have a backup. Wonder if you let the other one sit opened for a week or so if it would dry completely. I never had that happen - just the one time after a power outage and unplugging then replugging took care of it immediately.

Might be time to tell folks to wrap the control and connections in a Ziplock baggie to prevent that? Sure glad you posted about it. That's one thing none of us had before!

Back
Top Bottom