Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Well my chicks are 4 weeks old tomorrow...we're thinking about integrating (maybe I need to start another thread? If so just say the word, I just thought since everyone in here already knows about brooding in the coop and that the chicks have been out there since the start that it might make it easier to answer?)

With brooding them in the coop from the start, this is what I've gathered from this thread on how to do it-
I have a 5x7 portal in the brooder, thinking maybe we need to cut another one? Anyway, I've been doing the feeding side by side thing for a couple weeks now, just tossing feed or meal worms down on both sides of the brooder. So I just go ahead and let them out for "supervised visits"? How long do you let them out for? I don't have a run or a pen, the coop is in a pasture that is 1 acre fenced in with just livestock fencing, so do I just let them out into the coop for now and wait to actually let them outside?
And the how many times do I do the supervised visits before I can just leave their portal open?

**DANG I'm nervous about letting them out! Lol!** So any advice you have is greatly appreciated :)

I love how they line up and watch right inside the MHP. I keep trying to get a pic of when they are all lined up, but inevitably a couple will move.

Well my chicks are 4 weeks old tomorrow...we're thinking about integrating (maybe I need to start another thread? If so just say the word, I just thought since everyone in here already knows about brooding in the coop and that the chicks have been out there since the start that it might make it easier to answer?)

With brooding them in the coop from the start, this is what I've gathered from this thread on how to do it-
I have a 5x7 portal in the brooder, thinking maybe we need to cut another one? Anyway, I've been doing the feeding side by side thing for a couple weeks now, just tossing feed or meal worms down on both sides of the brooder. So I just go ahead and let them out for "supervised visits"? How long do you let them out for? I don't have a run or a pen, the coop is in a pasture that is 1 acre fenced in with just livestock fencing, so do I just let them out into the coop for now and wait to actually let them outside?
And the how many times do I do the supervised visits before I can just leave their portal open?

**DANG I'm nervous about letting them out! Lol!** So any advice you have is greatly appreciated
smile.png
I found the 5x7 portal would let a few of my slimmer and more determined hens thru...had one squeeze thru a 4x4 door too...
story is on this thread-so you could search for it...so you might want to put something up to reduce portal size.

I have 3 doors, all adjustable, and plan to shut the hens out of the main coop and show the chicks about the little doors, before allowing flock face to face meet with chicks.......Also have to put smaller mesh wire on the run before allowing chicks out there<rollseyes>.

I found the 5x7 portal would let a few of my slimmer and more determined hens thru...had one squeeze thru a 4x4 door too... story is on this thread-so you could search for it...so you might want to put something up to reduce portal size. I have 3 doors, all adjustable, and plan to shut the hens out of the main coop and show the chicks about the little doors, before allowing flock face to face meet with chicks.......Also have to put smaller mesh wire on the run before allowing chicks out there.
Thank you! That's a good idea to shut the bigs out and let the littles get the lay of the land first, so just do that and make sure they get it and then let the bigs in?

Quote: That's my plan, please note I haven't actually done it yet, will make sure the chicks know how to get in and out the little doors by acting like a big bad chicken.

What I do when integrating older birds......
......took down the partition wall when the olders were out in the run and the pop door shut so the newbies could browse around first for an hour or 2....
.....then open the pop door back up and let the fireworks begin.

I'm sure this has been discussed already, so feel free to direct me to the proper thread or section if it has, but when should I take my babies out to a sequestered section of the pen to introduce them to the rest of the flock? As the pen is way down the hill in the 'lower 40' I would NOT have electricity to power the MHP down there. So what I guess I'm really asking is how old do they have to be before they can live comfortably in the outdoors without any auxiliary heat?

Nighttime temperatures are averaging in the 50s. Currently they are 3 weeks old and staying in their brooder bin (with the MHP) in the garage, which is neither heated nor insulated, but is draft free. Outside they would initially be in a large cage, which obviously would not be draft free.

Thanks for your replies

Back
Top Bottom