Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Been a bit since I posted some pics of our boys from our hatch this year. They are progressing nicely, free ranging with our alpha roo and flock and roosting in the run at night. They will be 4 months next week.

No problem! Have you decided on which one you might keep yet? Or all of them? LOL

No decision yet, waiting to see how things play out and how they progress, who steps up in the alpha roll out of the three and how they are with the other birds and our alpha roo. If one stands out we will hang onto as a possibly replacement for our BO roo, the others will be processed for our freezer.

No decision yet, waiting to see how things play out and how they progress, who steps up in the alpha roll out of the three and how they are with the other birds and our alpha roo. If one stands out we will hang onto as a possibly replacement for our BO roo, the others will be processed for our freezer.

That makes sense! Hopefully one stands out

Threads been semi inactive lately but then again so have i. But i guess its cause its not chick season? Well, regardless, i just ordered 5 more chicks to arrive in October. 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Meyer Meal Maker (free chick). Ordering from Meyer Hatchery again. October 11 hatch date. Yes I admit it was a teeny bit impulsive but I've thought about it and had them in the cart for days so not entirely. Plus I have wanted these breeds since I got my first last year. I actually have tried several other times this year too. They were sold out every time. They finally became available this week. So I took advantage before they sold out again. They only thing I'm disappointed in is that they were sold out of the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte :( but oh well, I got the 2 other Wyandottes I wanted. I can't wait to see what the free chick is. Last year I got 2 of each of 4 breeds so it was easy, they just added a third Orpington, but this time I got 4 completely different breeds and somewhat rarer/quickly sold out ones so will be interesting to see what they choose to include. But yeah, I am excited. New coop is also nearly finished so excited for that too. Just needs vents and windows, roost bars, linoleum on the floor, hardware cloth on the eaves, and some paint or siding or something. So it should be done very soon. For now I think we're just moving the dog kennel over but eventually I think I'm going to make the run bigger

It's chick season at my house. :)

These guys are in a holding box with their MHP waiting for the rest of their siblings to hatch so I could take them out to the coop. Out of 26 eggs (shipped eggs, no less, in the heat of early summer), five weren't fertile, one quit early in the process, and the rest of the 20 hatched about two weeks ago.

And here they are in the coop getting checked out by a few of the flock.

And the next day a few ventured into the nursery run:

By the end of the next day, they were all in the run.

MHP for the win!

I incubated and brooded chicks all spring! Been taking a couple months off this summer, getting projects done, expanding the garden, and adding meat rabbits. Going to be getting the incubator running again, once the pullet eggs get a bit more consistent.

Back
Top Bottom