Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Definitely wait till spring. Some varieties can take over 90 days from sprouting to be harvestable. If you don't have that kind of time before the frost/freeze comes, don't plant it. A better/faster growing choice is Broccoli Raab. Most varieties can be harvested in as little as 40 days, and you can continue to harvest, right up until things freeze.

I think our frost is usually December or maybe November so we maaaaaybeee could have time but you're right, i dont wanna risk it, so I'll wait till spring then. And I'll look into that other kind.

To the original question about how long seeds can last.  If you can put them in the refrigerator inside a ziplok or other airtight bag, with a dessicant package inside to absorb any little moisture that might have been absorbed by the packages, the seeds will last the longest. However, I've had seeds that were stored completely incorrectly and still sprouted and grew veggies 5-6 years after expiration date.  There are a few seeds that are really only good the same year as the package is marked, and parsnips and moonflowers (a flower) are two of those.  Other than a few things, though, seeds do last a long time.

Thank you for the help! I'll try that :)

So I've seen a couple people now say the zip lock bag thing but some have said fridge and some have said freezer so I'm confused lol.. which is best?

Hi Blooie! Welcome back! I hope all is well in your world.

--V
Hi back! Just busy - Kendra has had serious issues all summer since her surgery. Kids are coming back from Denver today and we hope that the problems are resolved this time. This was the 4th trip down there for them with this just since it was done on June 1st. And summer is when Ken and I do our traveling for his Lodge activities and go on our cruise. Starting to settle back in now, but this weekend is the 3 day Grand Lodge meeting, and then in September we have Sessions, another 3 day series of meetings and such. After that I breathe and have Kendra while Mom works. Busy? Me? Nah...

I've always done refrigerator. Personally I think the freezer is iffy and could affect seed viability.  But this is just how I've always done it. btw I always use 2 ziploks, one inside the other, each one sealed.  Oh, here I've found a source that says to keep seeds out of the freezer:
http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/10-tips-storing-your-saved-seeds

There could still be disagreement out there, but I've always thought it was refrig.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out and have to use fridg then

D.gif
jumpy.gif
Can we still talk about raising baby chickens using the MHP method here, or is this a gardening thread now?
tongue.png

I'm getting four more chicks in a day or so*, So I have been setting up a new brooder bin and I built another Mama Heating Pad, as I had cannibalized the last one to use the materials for other purposes.

Same Sunbeam pad as before, and I used hardware cloth,
again, like before.

But this time I wrapped the edges of the HC snugly around
the edges of the heating pad, clamping the two together.
The soft, towel like side is facing up in this picture.

This creates what is effectively a one piece, bendable heating pad.

So now the pad is sitting under the hardware cloth, instead of
lying on top of it as it did before, This will let the chicks snuggle
right up against the soft, warm pad. I can still cover the top with
plastic to keep the pad clean.

I do have a question though, it has been getting quite warm these past few weeks, with the daytime highs never getting below 90F. However at night it has been getting down into the 70s. As 90 degrees is pretty much the proper temperature setting of the MHP anyway, should I be turning it off during the day, and only have it heating at night? or should I just leave it on all the time as before?

*Chicken Math; one of my EE pullets decided it would rather grow up to be a rooster, the black chick turned out (according to the others here at BYC) to be an Australorp, one was abducted and I assume killed and eaten. Another fell victim to the heat, or so the theory goes. So I bought four more chicks from http://chickensforbackyards.com: 3 Easter Eggers, and 1 Cuckoo Marans, I wanted to get a CM along with the EEs originally, but the feed store had sold out of them, in just two hours after they had been delivered!

Last edited:
D.gif
jumpy.gif
Can we still talk about raising baby chickens using the MHP method here, or is this a gardening thread now?
tongue.png

I'm getting four more chicks in a day or so*, So I have been setting up a new brooder bin and I built another Mama Heating Pad, as I had cannibalized the last one to use the materials for other purposes.

Same Sunbeam pad as before, and I used hardware cloth,
again, like before.

But this time I wrapped the edges of the HC snugly around
the edges of the heating pad, effectively clamping the two
together. The soft, towel like side is facing up in this picture.

This creates what is effectively a one piece, bendable heating pad.

So now the pad is sitting under the hardware cloth, instead of
lying on top of it as it did before, This will let the chicks snuggle
right up against the soft, warm pad.I can still cover the top with
plastic to keep the pad clean. And as they grow I just squeeze
the ends together to make a higher cave.

I do have a question though, it has been getting quite warm these past few weeks, with the daytime highs never getting below 90F. However at night it has been getting down into the 70s. As 90 degrees is pretty much the proper temperature setting of the MHP anyway, should I be turning it off during the day, and only have it heating at night? or should I just leave it on all the time as before?

*Chicken Math; one of my EE pullets decided it would rather grow up to be a rooster, the black chick turned out (according to the others here at BYC) to be an Australorp, one was abducted and I assume killed and eaten. Another fell victim to the heat, or so the theory goes. So I bought four more chicks from http://chickenfforbackyards.com : 3 Easter Eggers, and 1 Cuckoo Marans, I wanted to get a CM along with the EEs originally, but the feed store had sold out of them, in just two hours after they had been delivered!
Leave it on, and let the chicks choose, just like they would with a broody hen in summer.

:cd :jumpy Can we still talk about raising baby chickens using the MHP method here, or is this a gardening thread now? :p I'm getting four more chicks in a day or so*, So I have been setting up a new brooder bin and I built another Mama Heating Pad, as I had cannibalized the last one to use the materials for other purposes. Same Sunbeam pad as before, and I used hardware cloth, again, like before. But this time I wrapped the edges of the HC snugly around the edges of the heating pad, clamping the two together. The soft, towel like side is facing up in this picture. This creates what is effectively a one piece, bendable heating pad. So now the pad is sitting under the hardware cloth, instead of lying on top of it as it did before, This will let the chicks snuggle right up against the soft, warm pad. I can still cover the top with plastic to keep the pad clean. I do have a question though, it has been getting quite warm these past few weeks, with the daytime highs never getting below 90F. However at night it has been getting down into the 70s. As 90 degrees is pretty much the proper temperature setting of the MHP anyway, should I be turning it off during the day, and only have it heating at night? or should I just leave it on all the time as before? *Chicken Math; one of my EE pullets decided it would rather grow up to be a rooster, the black chick turned out (according to the others here at BYC) to be an Australorp, one was abducted and I assume killed and eaten. Another fell victim to the heat, or so the theory goes. So I bought four more chicks from http://chickensforbackyards.com: 3 Easter Eggers, and 1 Cuckoo Marans, I wanted to get a CM along with the EEs originally, but the feed store had sold out of them, in just two hours after they had been delivered!
I really like that method!

i have a question i have some leghorn chicks that are a week old today(the 3rd) and when their 2 weeks old i should have 10 ducklings arriving from Metzer Farms and i dont like brooding chicks and ducks together so i was wondering since by the time the ducks get here the chicks will only need temps of 85-90 if i could move them outside in a dog ex pen during the day and then do MHP in my coop for them at night if they need it? cause the duckling will need the brooder and i dont want them together and its nice and warm outside so i'd only have to worry about it raining with the chicks outside and not really temps

Back
Top Bottom