Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Yep!! They should be fine and you'll sleep well, csneill.

Well, what I dreaded came to pass. Every single one of the teeny tiny ones is gone. The 7 remaining bigger ones seem to be doing great but my confidence is still a bit shaken. Chicks are still inside and will be for a few more days. Want to keep a close eye on these for awhile yet.

Edited: welcome to the Broody Brigade, BigSkyBird. Let us know how that heating pad and tile work out!

Last edited:
Getting MHP ready for our first chicks, expected to arrive Wednesday!

I used a 12x24 inch tile I had on hand, sandwiched on the ends with pieces of 1x2 and 2x4.

Tied a large heating pad underneath

(Upside-down view)

Put in a pillow case, sewn shut on the end, and bungee corded. All ready for chicks to snuggle up against!

I plan to put shelf liner over the top for anti-slippage.
1f425.png

I'm using a different brand heating pad, as I was able to get a firm answer before ordering as to the fact that the pad comes back on automatically after a power outage (we have the power go off for a few seconds frequently, really never longer than that). Dr. Franklyn's King Size Moist Heat/Dry Heat Heating Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NA3K4IC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NCe7yb9M0ADSC

Thanks so much for this thread, Blooie!
How are you going to adjust the height as they grow?

Things are finally settling down for us. The coop and run are DONE! This has been a huge anchor around our necks as ALL of you know or will know this common problem. We have had a few losses and a few additions to our little flock, now 11 girls(one is showing male aggression). The girls probably average about 2 weeks old and tonight is their 4th night out in the cold cruel world of the coop but accompanied by their MHP. Don't know how others manage to get such nice individual pictures of their chicks, ours never stop running in a pack which makes solo pictures difficult.

The last 2 days we have taken all 11 out onto the grass inside the run. A little hesitant the first day but today much bolder and easier to corral to put back into the coop. Days are barely reaching the 50s and windy. Sure looking forward to some sunny and warm spring days.

So the pictures show the completed coop/run, with everything fenced and the roof either metal roofing over the coop and corrugated poly over the run. Will be interesting to see IF anything can get in, we really don't think a mouse could enter, fingers crossed. OOPs, this was supposed to be in the Spring 2017 thread!!!
How do I move it?

Wire has been installed.

Raven doesn't pay much attention to her cousins.

Mini lap Lab and slave.

Last edited:
You can leave it here and you can do a copy and paste to the other thread. Some folks think thats cross-posting but we know what happened and aren't worried about it. You'll have to re-post the photos I think. If you do want to pull it from here, you can come back to this one, edit everything out and just say "edited, wrong thread" or put in a few dashes.

Looks great, by the way!

So I found these while trying to figure out how to keep my duckling brooder clean and dry.

YES!!! That. The purchased one is lower but wider, so reasonable for little chicks provided there is bedding high enough (when they are first tarting, there's paper towels over all of it including the stand). But this is perfect for the bigger kickers.

I took some "real life" photos of them in action - keep in mind these are chicks that normally would be outside (5 weeks and 7 weeks) but I'm getting together their growout tractors done. So they kick a lot (esp. when I give them fresh bedding that they play in).

Here are the Aloha boys, pre-water change. So much bedding that you can't even see the stand. (But I cleaned their brooders the day before, and they LOVE kicking around fresh bedding):

The S&G NNs - haven't covered it as much. (They love photobombing - friendly little things.):

Aloha girls (and some boys) in other brooder, right before changing the water:

(Just posting as a follow up in case anyone was looking at them.)

- Ant Farm

Getting MHP ready for our first chicks, expected to arrive Wednesday!

I used a 12x24 inch tile I had on hand, sandwiched on the ends with pieces of 1x2 and 2x4.

Tied a large heating pad underneath

(Upside-down view)

Put in a pillow case, sewn shut on the end, and bungee corded. All ready for chicks to snuggle up against!

I plan to put shelf liner over the top for anti-slippage.
1f425.png

I'm using a different brand heating pad, as I was able to get a firm answer before ordering as to the fact that the pad comes back on automatically after a power outage (we have the power go off for a few seconds frequently, really never longer than that). Dr. Franklyn's King Size Moist Heat/Dry Heat Heating Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NA3K4IC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NCe7yb9M0ADSC

Thanks so much for this thread, Blooie!

Edited to add: I plan to adjust the height by wiggling it down into the pine shavings initially and later putting pieces of 1x6 or 2x6 under the sides to elevate as needed. Will have it open at the back as well as the front to allow chicks to "escape" that way.

I love it! Let us know if the tile warms up enough for them to hang out on top! They love doing that! Oooh...I love it, I might have to make another one...
hide.gif

YES!!! That. The purchased one is lower but wider, so reasonable for little chicks provided there is bedding high enough (when they are first tarting, there's paper towels over all of it including the stand). But this is perfect for the bigger kickers. I took some "real life" photos of them in action - keep in mind these are chicks that normally would be outside (5 weeks and 7 weeks) but I'm getting together their growout tractors done. So they kick a lot (esp. when I give them fresh bedding that they play in). Here are the Aloha boys, pre-water change. So much bedding that you can't even see the stand. (But I cleaned their brooders the day before, and they LOVE kicking around fresh bedding): The S&G NNs - haven't covered it as much. (They love photobombing - friendly little things.): Aloha girls (and some boys) in other brooder, right before changing the water: (Just posting as a follow up in case anyone was looking at them.) - Ant Farm
Oh, now I am not surprised! The set up is way too low. Put it up to between the level of their backs and their eyes. Your life will be much easier! - Do the same for their feeders!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom