Mandarin Duck Eggs: Artificial Versus Natural Incubation

I always hand turn my waterfowl eggs, they do better that way for me as opposed to turners. I also lay them on their sides in a natural manner and never used trays.
I put a spray bottle in the incubator, this way the water is the same temp as the air and eggs, no shock to them. I also mist every time I turn from day one.
I do this for domestic of migratory species. Turning 2-3 times a day.

I do exactly everything you do except I have them in auto turning trays to boot (overkill I guess plus I might get side tracked) I might have to have undercover hens this year for max production.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hello Sir, Can you give me a good guess as to why my Mandarin eggs did not hatch ? I had 5 eggs all were fertile I put them in my hovabator 1602N that I have added a turbo fan and a humidity and temp. monitor this unit also has an automatic egg turner, I installed plastic tubing to the water wells so I could refill with opening the top. I let the eggs set for 24 hr. before9.8 I put them in, the temp was set at 99.9 with Humidity @ 55% my temps never varied more than .5 degree up or down the humidity never lower than 51% that was usally at night but recovered to 55% the next morning. The eggs developed full figured chicks but they never hatched after as much as 33 days when I took them out and cracked open the eggs the chicks were dead. Now I had read that some hatcheries lightly mist water on the eggs every other day and I was doing this with warm water and the water was distilled that I use to control humidity . Both of my air ports were open , I'm completely baffled as to why this happen...

Hello Sir, Can you give me a good guess as to why my Mandarin eggs did not hatch ? I had 5 eggs all were fertile I put them in my hovabator 1602N that I have added a turbo fan and a humidity and temp. monitor this unit also has an automatic egg turner, I installed plastic tubing to the water wells so I could refill with opening the top. I let the eggs set for 24 hr. before9.8 I put them in, the temp was set at 99.9 with Humidity @ 55% my temps never varied more than .5 degree up or down the humidity never lower than 51% that was usally at night but recovered to 55% the next morning. The eggs developed full figured chicks but they never hatched after as much as 33 days when I took them out and cracked open the eggs the chicks were dead. Now I had read that some hatcheries lightly mist water on the eggs every other day and I was doing this with warm water and the water was distilled that I use to control humidity . Both of my air ports were open , I'm completely baffled as to why this happen...

Im very sceptic on rather to try again with such a complete failure as this without knowing what not to do next time. I have read that water birds are very hard to incubate but there are success stories as long as you pamper them along . I have wondered if the suficated if the 2 -1/2" holes are not enough with a full 35 egg load in the incubator ?

Your temp is dead on for what you are using. Also they arent going to suffocate with a forced air incubator. You shouldnt have to pamper much also. Heres some things it may be.Everybody lives in different areas with different humidity. I dont know what state you in. Put it in your avatar. I say this all the time. People besides me will try and help you even better if they live in your region. Are they in a shed outside or in yoiur home? How long did they sit under the hen before you put them into the bator? Wild type ducks do do better if the hen sets on them for at least ten to fourteen days.That we all agree on. Some die in the shell like that due to all kinds of other reasons. But like Boggy said on this thread. They die alot in the last week in the shell because of dirty conditions. Just because you failed one time with one pair doesnt mean its always like that. Even with the same pair next time may be great. But also if you aint worried about making a ton of babies just let the parents do the job next year. at the very least you will get an idea on the pairs fertility or if this samething happens under the hen. Dont give up just cause you didnt get chicks the first time .It might be just one little thing keeping you from success. Also try your incubator with domestic duck eggs or chicken eggs if you have them or can get some. If you can incubate either of these with your set up exactly the way it is now that you told us, then your mandarins should definitely hatch as well. Keep the faith. Rome wasnt built in a day.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying , I live in Clarksville Tn. and the Eggs were bought from a hobbiest in New york Hilltop Farms. I put them in the incubator 24 hrs after they arrived.

I think i figured out the problem I got a hold of some bad info on Humidity settings I had read on ducks the last 3 days to raise the humidity to 65% ....this is to low it may work fine for chickens but not for ducks and other water birds they need 85- 90% relative humidity this makes since why the fully developed but never pip...

Back
Top Bottom