Mandarin Duck Eggs: Artificial Versus Natural Incubation

I was lucky that this being my first year with my 3 pairs, all hens laid. The first 2 had their hatchlings jump out of their nestbox today, 14 in in one hatch, 10 in the other. there were 3 half incubated eggs left in the nest of the one that hatched 14, and 4 half incubated eggs left in the nest of the one that hatched 10. The other hen is still setting, and will so for 3 more weeks.

I let my mandarin sit on a clutch and she should be due later this week. I also had ringed teal jump from the nest box today!! They are very small and their mom already took them swimming
ep.gif

hey Scott, I would keep your humidity high as possible. alot of people open their incubators for looking,candleing etc. and that destroys humidity. The only time I open mine are to add water and then I mist them before I close it. I hope this helps. I havent been on here in a while since the oil spill . been very busy. I try to look on here once a week anyhow, good luck with your mandies
smile.png
I have got babie ducks all in my big pen usually I get them in small pens but had so many and been so busy all i been doing is feeding and changing water. there is at least 50 babies of all different kinds running around probably more.Thank God for a big avairy. BTW got an Impeyan finally hes in there with them and dont bother them a bit or the dozen baby red goldens

Quote:
I want Impeyans badly. I've got 9 golden chicks right now from a good line... though I lost their dad (an f4 male) to a raccoon a couple of weeks ago. I'll watch the humidity closely this go around with the mandarins... wish me luck.

Well, out of all these eggs, only one mandarin duckling hatched. Most of them developed, but then died right before hatch. Go figure.

The one that did hatch is doing well. Next year, I'm sticking to my guns and leaving mandarin egg incubation to the hens.

a lot of time, death just before hatching is signs of bacteria in the incubator. I put a teaspoon of bleach in the water trays about every two weeks, this eliminates that problem and causes not problems to the ducks, or any fowl for that matter. Started doing that a few years back, and you'd be surprised how much the last week in shell deaths drop off. Just a suggestion....

Scott, I saw that you said you purchased some mandrain eggs from an outside source. Is there anyway you could tell me where i can get some mandrain and wood duck eggs?! Everywhere i loo i can only get a pair of juveniles but i would really like to hatch and raise my own! ANYONE I COULD REALLY USE SOME ADVISE!!!
jumpy.gif

you can usually find them fairly regular in the spring, BUT honestly, for what people charge for eggs, you can usually get 2 yearling pairs for.
Think about that first, especially if you are having them shipped, and a first time waterfowl hatcher. These things are way tuffer to incubate than domestic fowl, especially if it's your first time.
and most on ebay hit about $100 a dozen for either, with no guarentees.
you can easily buy 2 pr of either for that, may pay a few extra in shipping, BUT at least you will know you have birds then, no gambling involved. That's what egg buying is, a gamble....
Just my thought

Sorry got a lot of questions, expecting an incubator for christmas
wink.png
big_smile.png
When starting incubation when do you start misting the eggs? how often do you do it? approximately what temperature of water? and when do you stop?

Back
Top Bottom