Mandarin enclosure!

So I'm thinking about getting mandarin ducks, but what's the best enclosure for them?? Like size and stuff! I'd appreciate it if anyone could send pictures of their mandarin enclosure!
As with any bird build the biggest enclosure that budget and space allow for. I would not mix them with other ducks ESPECIALLY domestic breeds.

So I'm thinking about getting mandarin ducks, but what's the best enclosure for them?? Like size and stuff! I'd appreciate it if anyone could send pictures of their mandarin enclosure!
A predator proof aviary style pen works very well for them. Bigger is always better, and for one or two pairs I wouldn't want them in anything smaller than a 12x16' pen. They need constant clean water to bathe in, a high quality gamebird crumble or Mazuri maintenance feed, wood duck type nest boxes, branches, perches, vegetation, etc.
My Mandarins are in with all of my other ornamental waterfowl and do very well in a mixed collection, as they can not hybridize with any other species.
And do they go well with other animals like other ducks?
Other ornamental waterfowl, yes. But the pen of course needs to be bigger the more birds you have in it. I would not put them in with any domestic waterfowl other than possibly call ducks. They can do ok with them since they're closer in size.
I've seen people pair them up with wood ducks, would that be okay?
Wood ducks and Mandarins can be in together, but pairing them up is entirely different and I'm sure not what you meant.
Mandarins do not pair up with other species of ducks, and even if they did they would not be able to breed and produce offspring.

Here are a couple pics of my aviary
IMG_20220709_173614625_HDR.jpg

This pic is from last summer but you can see the construction a bit better.
IMG_20211002_150658774_HDR.jpg

A predator proof aviary style pen works very well for them. Bigger is always better, and for one or two pairs I wouldn't want them in anything smaller than a 12x16' pen. They need constant clean water to bathe in, a high quality gamebird crumble or Mazuri maintenance feed, wood duck type nest boxes, branches, perches, vegetation, etc.
My Mandarins are in with all of my other ornamental waterfowl and do very well in a mixed collection, as they can not hybridize with any other species.

Other ornamental waterfowl, yes. But the pen of course needs to be bigger the more birds you have in it. I would not put them in with any domestic waterfowl other than possibly call ducks. They can do ok with them since they're closer in size.

Wood ducks and Mandarins can be in together, but pairing them up is entirely different and I'm sure not what you meant.
Mandarins do not pair up with other species of ducks, and even if they did they would not be able to breed and produce offspring.
I meant having Wood ducks and mandarins in the same enclosure!! Sorry for the confusion
This is all really helpful, thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom