Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I want to make my own olive eggers. I have BCM's and several different kinds of ameraucanas... black, wheaten, silver. What are the best ones to cross to make the best olive eggers???

frow.gif
Hi Mel.

Quote:
I'm going to guess...having never attempted this before...that you would cross your brightest blue egg layer with your darkest brown egg layer.....AHA! but one of them has to be a Roo....(that puts a different spin on my plan) OK...the brightest blue egg layer with your prettiest Marans Roo. Or Else your prettiest Americauna and your darkest brown egg layer. They key words in this post are having never attempted this before....

Last edited:
I get some nice light olive eggs from my BO-X-Ameraucana hens. We have some Australorp hens who lay an egg that is close to terra cotta; it would be interesting to cross one of those with an Ameraucana roo and see what color eggs the resulting hens lay.

Keeping track of which chick came from which egg is *hard*, even with leg bands.

I got olive eggers from crossing my bcm roo from the darkest egg with blue ameraucanas that lay nice blue eggs.
Then my second generation- I made some using an olive egger male (per the advice from the peeps on the OE thread because my OE were already a dark olive because the roo's egg gene was so dark) and then I also crossed some back to a dark laying BCM just to see how dark the babies would lay...if they would be brown or olive still lol. I will wait for the next generation to start laying and then decide what to do. I would like to work some prettier feathering colors into the next ones like maybe some cuckoo or lavender or something.

Quote:
Reminds me of a joke I heard about an extremely amorous Roo who did that same thing but had his eyes closed & when the farmer, who saw buzzards circling lower & lower, wondered what had happened the Roo opened one eye and said "be quiet, they are going to land!"

Mel, you always crack me up.....tooo funny. Must be tired, had to read twice and think 3 times
lau.gif

Pinks....so far 6 out of 11 hatched...4 blues and 2 blacks. Not sure about the other 5 but am leaving them in the bator for several more days. BIg, big babies!!!

AWESOME......AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! That's great! Photo's when you can my friend!
wink.png
Gnarles sure likes to make more Blue babies vs. Black ones. I so wish I had a nice Black Copper rooster to use with some of the BCM girls.

I'm thinking of switching up some things around here and putting the Wellies out to pasture in the laying flock and not breeding them anymore except for my own personal use or unless I get a specific request for Wellies (I know you are still on the list for Wellies, don't worry), moving the Delawares to their new pen (when it is finished
lol.png
) and having a pen of Splash Coppers, a pen of Blue Coppers and a pen of Black Coppers...but if I do this.....I won't have a place for my Bill.....unless....I build another pen for olive eggers. Decisions....decisions.....work....work.....work.
barnie.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the eggs......and yes Geebs those Olive eggs have a way of stealing a persons attentions, I just love them, especially the darker one from my Splash gal. The lighter one is from my Blue OE and it's color always reminds me of a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream with it's minty color and tiny chocolate speckles.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom