Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

My Birchen eggs are very spherical and dark. I can not take credit for that but I plan to keep it that way and work on my other varieties. It does help having those to look at and compare to. I made some very hard cuts going into winter and only kept about half my birds. I sorted by type and have suffered some color loss in my eggs, but gained a better quality of bird to go forward with and egg color will come back (I hope)
clap.gif

Its funny to hear the discussion about keeping egg color or tossing it because in other threads" the Marans is the bird that went to pot because only its eggs were sought." (he he, I made that rhyme up but it's a true reference.) Well, I am trying to figure out the math too. Now, I still don't know what it means to be chasing a premium. A stringman shows lots of birds... for the money gotten by winning?? Is that it? Or for the free entry to fairs?

Does anyone regularly eat their Marans. I had one here so far but he wasn't much to speak on. Runty cockerel whose color I didn't like and I think his taste was reflective of mine.

Mentors... yeah. I am hoping to wheedle in with a great man here but its not likely to work out as he is far off and I am not the sort by look that would inspire anyone to take time with me. (I bring my 1 year old to meetings and shows and I am a petite female.)

Its funny to hear the discussion about keeping egg color or tossing it because in other threads" the Marans is the bird that went to pot because only its eggs were sought." (he he, I made that rhyme up but it's a true reference.) Well, I am trying to figure out the math too. Now, I still don't know what it means to be chasing a premium. A stringman shows lots of birds... for the money gotten by winning?? Is that it? Or for the free entry to fairs?

Does anyone regularly eat their Marans. I had one here so far but he wasn't much to speak on. Runty cockerel whose color I didn't like and I think his taste was reflective of mine.

Mentors... yeah. I am hoping to wheedle in with a great man here but its not likely to work out as he is far off and I am not the sort by look that would inspire anyone to take time with me. (I bring my 1 year old to meetings and shows and I am a petite female.)

I must say, my Marans culls have been VERY tasty so far. They grow to a decent size very quickly thus remaining tender and quite roastable (as opposed to soup and stew.) Can't complain a bit about the value I get from Marans. Truly the best dual purpose bird I've ever had. I'm getting loads of decent sized eggs and respectably dark given how often my ladies lay them. I obviously still have a lot to learn about "spherical" eggs but I know I'm in good company so I'll get there!

Indeed, that's a timely rhyme for speaking on Marans, to be sure!

I eat many culls, some say they are tastier than other breeds, I find them equally as tasty.

I copied this from Feathersite - Barb, see the egg on the bottom row, third one in? THAT is a very spherical egg. Almost exactly round.

images

I copied this from Feathersite - Barb, see the egg on the bottom row, third one in? THAT is a very spherical egg. Almost exactly round.

images

I thought that's what my eggs looked like. I obviously still need to train my eye. Good thing I seem to be in this for the LONG haul!!! Lots of time for me to be corrected. But #4 also looks like my eggs so perhaps I'm making some progress.

My main protein part of my diet is the culls, I will say I love the marans, but the Sussex are fantastic with moisture content and tenderness. I working on a cross of the two as they are quick growers and wonderful flavor

Ok, so I read the OP and the last few posts here and have to laugh. I thought only my horse forum got crazy! lol But since I'm not breeding them, maybe I won't be flamed too bad!

So, I fell in love with the Wheaten Marans when I happened upon a picture of a hen when searching for Cuckoos - in search of a hen or two to give me some "pretty eggs."

I purchased some eggs and had a broody hatch them about five years ago. A couple years later I bought chicks. Now I'm down to two old girls (one of which survived a broken wing!) and I want to replenish my coop.

I just unwrapped my dozen eggs and they will go into the incubator after settling for 2-3 days. This is my first incubator hatch.

Anyone here have any suggestions as far as temp/humidity goes?

Ok, so I read the OP and the last few posts here and have to laugh. I thought only my horse forum got crazy! lol But since I'm not breeding them, maybe I won't be flamed too bad!

So, I fell in love with the Wheaten Marans when I happened upon a picture of a hen when searching for Cuckoos - in search of a hen or two to give me some "pretty eggs."

I purchased some eggs and had a broody hatch them about five years ago. A couple years later I bought chicks. Now I'm down to two old girls (one of which survived a broken wing!) and I want to replenish my coop.

I just unwrapped my dozen eggs and they will go into the incubator after settling for 2-3 days. This is my first incubator hatch.

Anyone here have any suggestions as far as temp/humidity goes?
I run first 18 days at 40-45 and last three days at 55-65 preferable at 60

If anyone remembers the person that started the Dark egg thread, they had BC and all layed the Spherical egg for , best I ever seen. None of my BC ever laid a spherical shape egg. Some of the White and Wheaten did though.

Back
Top Bottom