Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I would say she is a mix then. she looks more like some olive eggers I have had. she will probably not lay olive eggs though since she has a straight comb. she will probably lay an egg more like a Marans. the copper down her chest is one thing telling me she is a mix. she should not be used to breed Marans.

I would assume they are all mixed.

sop standard of perfection. it is the chicken Bible.
I am ok with them being a mix. Our other two are as well. We didn't get them for breeding or for show so it's ok. We got them for eggs and pets! What should the characteristics be for a pure Splash Maran? wondering if she is mixed too. having a hard time uploading pictures all of a sudden!

If the Mulberry or Gypsy face goes away by the time they reach sexual maturity, why does the SOP matter?

Whats the average age of a bird when you first start showing them?

Just curious.

What is SOP? Lady told me they could be French copper. But there was also a Americauna roo in their coop and she did say they could be mixed. though I would have to wait till they laid to figure it out. been trying to get an answer on here for awhile now so thanks for answering that! She and her black copper sister have some feathers on the legs. The splash maran has none.

SOP = Standard of Perfection
Each breed of poultry, duck and water fowl that are accepted and recognized by the American Poultry Association has a standard of perfection that outlines the standards (how the birds should look) of their respective breed and its characteristics. This written standard is what the judges judge your birds by. These standards are compiled into one book, The SOP, put out by the APA.

Here are 2 examples that the judges showed at Crossroads 2011 as proper shank feathering for Marans: And here is the highest-placed Marans from the APA Nationals last fall: Many of the things in the SOP can be interpreted differently, shank feathering is one of them, I believe. Breed for whatever tickles your fancy, I say.
WOWZA!!!!!! The leg and foot color of second photo is very very dark!

babys that hatched from hand carried eggs thank you edan camp and chooks chicks now i know 1 is fblack copper but what do you think the silver and yellows are they have feather feet yellow feathers any guesses please
Any chance that the fine folks you got the eggs from have a blue bird in the mix anywhere?

Mornin Kim! Hows the birds doing over your way? I need to sort chicks again and have probably a dozen that need to go, but will know more when I get the time to hold them and look them over. Lots of birchens this year and beefcakes overall in both the coppers and birchens, which makes me really happy. I'm hoping if all goes well, that I'll be able to hatch some more Marans this fall. Right now I'm collecting Sussex eggs, and hope that they hatch well.

Hello my friend! Good to hear from you! Life and birds over here are good, busy, but good.

Only 2 of those chicks I hatched in March are now still showing copper, it has covered in the rest of them. :(

I am glad that you are seeing nice beefcakes in the Birchens, I know that is something that you have been working on. Did you do any Blue Birchens this year?

Back
Top Bottom