Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi, I just hatche two sweet French Copper Marans from Brian Walden. I wonder is someone here can give me a hint on sex. Both look exactly the same, no white spots on their heads..just little white dots around the cheek area plus white on wings and light bellies. Photos below. Any comments

will be very appreciated.

rare - both are males.

[sidebar: in the U.S., Marans are just Marans - not "French" Marans.]

Last edited:
Not sure if this posted last time as I have yet to receive a response.

I have a question for those wiser than I...
I have a silver blue cock that covered my black copper and blue copper Hens. Here are two of the resulting offspring. I am concerned about the white in the wings. Will this change? Is this acceptable in either color?

How old are these birds? I would not expect the white to molt out, considering how much of it there is. Sometimes, when it's just the wing TIPS, it does molt out by their last juvie molt (which is around 18-20 weeks). When you say "silver" blue, do you mean a very light blue?

You know...I'm looking at your pullet and she looks to have a single comb (though sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo sometimes). I don't see any hint of a beard or muffs and the shanks aren't indicative of an Americauna or an Easter Egger. Why did they say they felt this could be a cross?

I was told my 7 week old Splash could of been from a Splash hen and Americauna Roo. How can I tell if she is mixed or not?

How old are these birds?  I would not expect the white to molt out, considering how much of it there is.  Sometimes, when it's just the wing TIPS, it does molt out by their last juvie molt (which is around 18-20 weeks).  When you say "silver" blue, do you mean a very light blue? 

This is the boy we used. We bought him from Ava. He was 2nd place at the nationals in Newnan. We were told he is a Silver Blue.

Here are our two girls. We believe it is the blue that is the mother of both.

The hatch date is 04/22.

You know...I'm looking at your pullet and she looks to have a single comb (though sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo sometimes). I don't see any hint of a beard or muffs and the shanks aren't indicative of an Americauna or an Easter Egger. Why did they say they felt this could be a cross?
she wasn't sure. only that there is also a Americauna roo in the same pen. One of my black copper marans looks mixed! thank you!

she wasn't sure. only that there is also a Americauna roo in the same pen. One of my black copper marans looks mixed! thank you!
I guess you will find out when she starts to lay. Marans x Americauna (or Easter Egger) will give you an Olive Egger. ;-)

I believe the Mulberry or Gypsy face is only referring to the face/comb/wattles dark purple approaching black, not the whole bird. Just read my SOP: it is found in the face and wattles of silkies, sumatras, birchen and brown red modern games and some in sebrights. Not ok on Marans. Here are comparison pics. of the heads of two of my pullets, 1st one gypsy faced (SOP calls it Gypsy Colour even though it just refers to the head) and the other is not. Both these girls are laying and mature, almost a year old. Cropping and enlarging the head shots makes them blurry, sorry. Maybe someone else with more info/experience with this will give us some more info......... Anyone???
Thank you for answering. This looks a lot like hyper melanosis. Think Silkies and Cemani. I am seeing the black in the waddles and comb but its also in the skin on the face. I wonder if this is a through and through trait like the Cemani. Interesting.

I have two little cockerels starting to fight already. Both are mossy so they have to go. I am debating just snipping them.

FTR IMO broody raised chicks are more healthy than human raised. They get more exercise and intellectual stimuli by interacting with a parent and the world that the broody shows them. Orphans tend to be less active as far as running around and a lot are raised without the constant exposure to exercise and grit and bugs and grass etc.

Back
Top Bottom