Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've got a bunch of hatchery birds for eggs, I just love to see all different colors of chickens running around and all different colors of eggs in the fridge.
But it just seems to me that all the "dual purpose breeds" are slowly being transformed to really-just-for-eggs-and-pretty breeds. I mean, I can't imagine a farmer of 1880 waiting 9 months to get something bigger then a 3 pound bird - though I know that back then, eating chicken was more of a luxury. But I still can't see them putting up with all the little cockerels running around eating bugs and scraps that could be going to the hens. I'm sure that they butchered them young and wanted them meaty.

Anyhoo, I was thinking of picking a breed that is supposed to be a "table breed" like Marans or Sussex and breeding them with the only criteria being to save out the 10% of birds that are heaviest with the biggest breasts at 12 weeks for breeding. I'm sure that looks and rate of lay will suffer and foraging ability and natural brooding will increase. I was wondering if I could kind of re-create a more mid-1800's type bird.

I know that I could just start breeding away with my mixed flock of layers. I am also raising a "Fry pan special" of cockerels, so I've got plenty of roos to choose from. But I know that most hatchery breeds (esp the specific ones I have) have been picked for laying ability already so I'd be starting from behind.

And, knowing me as well as I do
wink.png
if I started a bunch of mutts I'd be really, really tempted to save some funky colored ones. But if I started a bunch of purebreds, they'd all largely look alike and it would be easier for me to stick to the one criteria.

What do you guys think? Should I go with Marans? Any particular type? And where should I get them? I was thinking Cuckoos because they're the most common, but I love the looks of Wheaten anything.

Quote:
Cuckoo marans should not have yellow feet. Barred rocks have yellow feet and cuckoo marans should have white legs.
How positive are you that you have a cuckoo maran ? ?

This is the limit of my help. . . . I work with FBCM. Maybe some others will join in who have owned cuckoo's.

Good Luck with the sweet roo !

I have my first Marans -- she's blue. She has a timid personality compared to my other pullets that I got at the same time; is this typical?. (They are Welsummer and Barnevelter.) Another question I have is that she has feathers on her legs and other Marans that I've seen do not. Is she perhaps a cross or is this normal?

me?chickens? ,

First
welcome-byc.gif
. Second your blue Marans should have feathers on the shanks and the outside toe only! As for being timid, some are, some aren't. Give her more time to grow on you. Just like people, they all have their different personalities and quirks.
big_smile.png

I have been lurking here forever! Well, today, I purchased two, really pretty 4month old BCM hens.. They both have feathers down the outside of their legs.They are so nice and I am excited. SOOOO, I will be here asking questions and waiting on those dark brown eggs...

RiverOtter ,

Why don't you just get some meaties?? They grow out the quickest and are made specifically for eating.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I have both hatchery and "breeder" type Cuckoo's my hatchery ones lay darker eggs than my Rocks or Dellies but only 2 have eggs dark enough to "be" true Marans I hope my breeder ones lay eggs as dark as the ones I hatched
fl.gif
..my Hatchery ones are very good layers and they started laying at 20 weeks I have 5 and I'm getting 5 eggs a day unless it gets blazing hot then I'll get 4

Thanks so much for the information.
I was after rir pullets, and the guy that promissed them to me was out, so in turn I got 2 rir's & three Cuckoo's.
I fell in love with them & thier white legs. He told me the eggs would be dark, but not as dark as a bcm.
So now I am waiting for the eggs. So now I know I only have a few weeks left.

Good Afternoon Everybody!

And a big
welcome-byc.gif
to all the new members!

All my beautiful chickens survived the Cocci Epidemic!!!
wee.gif

They are all acting normal, no sign of blood for a couple of days now and their combs are all turning red again!!!!!!

RiverOtter, Marans are great for meat but they grow a little on the slower side compared to some other breeds. I plan to slaughter all extra roos that I hatch. I am not raising them just for meat, I just see it as a added benefit. I get 50 Cornish X's a year for meat purposes simply because of the significantly less growing time. My Black Copper roos really didn't start bulking up until about 18 weeks of age.

Quote:
I actually have 30 cornishx brooding in the back room right now.
Yes, they are definitely the most time/cost effective way to go.
But they're not self sustaining. It's rare for them to even live to breeding age and they don't breed true. Actually in my eyes (just my opinion) it would border on animal cruelty to try to keep the poor things around for that long. I'd like to have a flock that can still perpetuate itself and give me eggs on the side.

So while I don't think that I'll stop raising CX anytime soon (I love a roast chicken with a huuuge breast!) I'm still interested in a dual purpose breed that's actually dual purpose. Which I think means actively selecting for a good carcass. Even though you can eat any scrawny little thing it doesn't mean the bird is dual. I don't know if I'm saying this right.
OK, right now, just about every breed is for eggs (or show) and meat on the side. You eat them because what ELSE are you going to do with them?? not because they are particularly good eating.
I want a flock that's for meat, and gives me eggs on the side. I want them to grow quickly and well, forage and keep brooding chicks and give me a few extra eggs above and beyond that.
Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom