Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

X2! Kind of like trying to make a guinea pig by breeding two ferrets!
gig.gif
that's quite the mental image there lady. haha I have to email something to you....I'll message it to you on FB since I have that open.

That is good to hear. I have been contacted by so many people working on marans that want to have more info and to have a copy of the proposed standards for their birds so they can work towards better birds and the number one thing I hear is how confusing it all is and I can't argue much. If I hadn't been raised with the standards and know how the SOP works and etc, to know what a birchen in general should have, or etc, it would be hard.

I will look forward to seeing the proposals! I think it will make a huge difference in the work needing to be done before the qualifiers...particularly in the birchens as they need some major love haha.
If anyone hears anything about the "straw" that is in Mature Cock French Silver Cuckoos, being a DQ here in the States, pleeeese let me know ?
I have had these birds for almost 12 years, and have worked hard on them to the French standard, and it would be awful to find out they are DQ'd for what has been a French standard trait..............
hit.gif

PLEEESE Pm me if ya hear anything ???
THANKS !!!!
frow.gif

If anyone hears anything about the "straw" that is in Mature Cock French Silver Cuckoos, being a DQ here in the States, pleeeese let me know ?
I have had these birds for almost 12 years, and have worked hard on them to the French standard, and it would be awful to find out they are DQ'd for what has been a French standard trait..............
hit.gif

THANKS !!!!
frow.gif
I suggest you contact WALT Leonard about if this will be allowed in the final Standard, I believe someone from the MCCusa is working on the proposed standard.

Hey Don,

I'm on my way out the door to work, but am liking the discussion on the blue coppers. I have my own method from years of working with the solid blues, but can say that you are definitely right about breeding the black coppers in too often to the blues and the birds ending up with the too red on the wing. It just looks wrong. I might run some birds by you to see what might be possible options wise as I have quite a few to choose from.

hit.gif

THANKS !!!!
frow.gif

From what I am told of silver cuckoo, what you're referring to is sun damage, and it affects silver cuckoo, blue, and white birds. The only thing you can do to avoid this is to keep them inside.

The gold that you see in some cuckoos is due to those particular strains being crossed at one time with the wheaten, and what you are seeing is autosomal red.

Back
Top Bottom