Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hello everyone, I felt I should switch from the Black Copper marans site to this site. I bought what I thought were black copper marans, and just found out that they aren't black copper, but wheaten marans. I'm only disappointed because I have people wanting to by my chicks because they are what I thought were black copper, and 'hard to find'. I personally think the beautiful blue under the wing is much lovelier than having just black, so I still think he is gorgeous! I'll just have to inform everyone that I don't have any black copper marans. The females I bought are not wheaten females ether! They are black marans.
So I hope their chicks will be as beautiful as their father.
Can anyone tell me if Wheaton marans are as sought after as the black copper are?

Are the white feathers a negitive for his breed?

aten Marans are as sought after as the Black Copper marans?
Of course I'll just have to put them out there and see if they sell.
Here is a pic. of him. What do you Marans lovers think of his chicks possibilities?

Hello everyone, I felt I should switch from the Black Copper marans site to this site. I bought what I thought were black copper marans, and just found out that they aren't black copper, but wheaten marans. I'm only disappointed because I have people wanting to by my chicks because they are what I thought were black copper, and 'hard to find'. I personally think the beautiful blue under the wing is much lovelier than having just black, so I still think he is gorgeous! I'll just have to inform everyone that I don't have any black copper marans. The females I bought are not wheaten females ether! They are black marans.
So I hope their chicks will be as beautiful as their father.
Can anyone tell me if Wheaton marans are as sought after as the black copper are?

Are the white feathers a negitive for his breed?

aten Marans are as sought after as the Black Copper marans?
Of course I'll just have to put them out there and see if they sell.
Here is a pic. of him. What do you Marans lovers think of his chicks possibilities?
Wheatons have a dedicated following. The good thing is the Wheaten and Black Copper are both excepted by the APA. Just dont cross the Wheaten with the Black Coppers. Thats why we are having so much problems with the BCM because people have crossed them. Sometimes on purpose sometimes by accident.

Hi all again, I am enjoying the read about breeding. Since I have bread my Wheaton Marans with Black marans hens, will their chicks be Wheaton?

Wat did you plan to do with them. Unless you create who need for them. You can only see them as mutts. plese advertise them as chickens.

Last edited:
Hi all again, I am enjoying the read about breeding. Since I have bread my Wheaton Marans with Black marans hens, will their chicks be Wheaton?

Wat did you plan to do with them. Unless you create who need for them. You can only see them as mutts. plese advertise them as chickens.

they didn't know the roo was a wheaten. common mistake....

Quote: they didn't know the roo was a wheaten. common mistake....
Yes a common mistake (i've in my old age and illness have let this get by me a few times when sorting Marans after 65 plus years with chickens .... but it could be that i had this mental issue from birth) .

These are their chickens and they are free moral agents to do as they please with them .

People have been doing what they wanted with Marans longer than others have wasted their time trying to figure if they were right or wrong .
People doing what they want created this Marans breed whether we except it or not .
It was noted on one farm (in France) where some of the better original Marans came from that there was up to three varieties running on the farm .
James Shannon Nelson

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom