Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

How is this guy for breeding? He is almost 7 months. His points were longer but he didn't want to sleep in the coop. His feet have more feathers but they get rubbed off.

How is this guy for breeding? He is almost 7 months. His points were longer but he didn't want to sleep in the coop. His feet have more feathers but they get rubbed off.

He looks quite narrow behind with a lot of taper from his shoulders to his back end. I would like to see him deeper through the body as well and more balanced overall. It's difficult to get good photos sometimes, and I find it helps to get down to their level rather than taking a photo from above.

He looks quite narrow behind with a lot of taper from his shoulders to his back end. I would like to see him deeper through the body as well and more balanced overall. It's difficult to get good photos sometimes, and I find it helps to get down to their level rather than taking a photo from above.
Is he full grown at 7 months?

He looks quite narrow behind with a lot of taper from his shoulders to his back end.  I would like to see him deeper through the body as well and more balanced overall.  It's difficult to get good photos sometimes, and I find it helps to get down to their level rather than taking a photo from above.

Is he full grown at 7 months?  

He will still fill out for minimum of another six months. Very young to be judged on the width of the back, Give him a little time if you have a pen for him, as they will fill in and look entirely different. Don

Does is matter how light/white the splash coloring is? Would it be better to choose one with more blue feathers showing in the body than lighter all over feathering? I have 2 and the one with the best leg feathering has less color, being more white. The darker boy is also the bigger Alpha but his leg feathering is noticeably sparser. They are too young to make any permanent decisions on at this point so just wondering if there was any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Does is matter how light/white the splash coloring is? Would it be better to choose one with more blue feathers showing in the body than lighter all over feathering? I have 2 and the one with the best leg feathering has less color, being more white. The darker boy is also the bigger Alpha but his leg feathering is noticeably sparser. They are too young to make any permanent decisions on at this point so just wondering if there was any thoughts on this. Thanks.
It would probably be best to look up the splash variety that was just accepted. I am not sure but I believe it was the Splash Modern Game. The APA will most likely want the Splash Marans to go along with the Splash that is already approved . Don

There is a Splash Marans thread here, maybe folks there would have better ideas on that?

He will still fill out for minimum of another six months. Very young to be judged on the width of the back, Give him a little time if you have a pen for him, as they will fill in and look entirely different. Don
Thanks, he is running free, hanging with the ladies and his wing man. I'm not seperating until Feb.

This is my first Marans rooster. I named him Rou. LOL. I know not the best picture. He does not like his picture taken. From what little you can all see how does he look. I am getting ready to put some eggs in from him and his hens. I am so excited being so new to this breed. I will try to get a better picture.

Back
Top Bottom