Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Here is my Lavendar maran roo. His name is Geno. He is so sweet and inquisitive. Just got him yesterday, but I can tell he is going to be one of my favorites.

Not only are people making new colors when the established varieties in the SOP are so in need of work still, but they don't know enough about the breed to even spell it right.
My rant for the day
duc.gif
I understand your pet peeve on the spelling of Marans. Don't even get me started on the pronunciations out there...
There are a lot of people that just want the darker eggs for their "rainbow" egg basket and have no idea what SOP even stands for...
I think there's room for all of us: those very few who show and make their mark on the breed for the better, those who breed birds and leave the breed better for their choices though they choose not to show, those who show and shouldn't, etc.

I'm sorry I put Maran instead of Marans (if that was the mistake people were referring to; idk) I didn't realise it was such a big deal. I was merely posting a link to a thread to help someone find a chicken breeder, quite frankly those people who need to relax. I know very little about Marans apart from they lay nice eggs that are usually a dark chocolately brown if gotten from a breeder, I don't own Marans.

Like Ihilani Coffee said, there is room for everyone. :) I'm just helping someone find some chickens by linking their thread, chill. Some people just like pretty chickens that lay pretty eggs and care very little about breed standards and that's just as good as someone that breeds for perfection. However it is needless to rant and rave about a misspelling.

Why can't we just agree over the joy of raising chickens? :)

No different than typing teh instead of the

I see no point in getting upset by a typo or simple mistake.
smile.png
Yes, and also the automatic proofreader in some of us notice these things. Since Marans is a place name in France, it would be more like typing Los Angele CA or Queen NY or De Moine IA or Dalla TX or
barnie.gif
somesuch.

I'm sorry I put Maran instead of Marans (if that was the mistake people were referring to; idk) I didn't realise it was such a big deal. I was merely posting a link to a thread to help someone find a chicken breeder, quite frankly those people who need to relax. I know very little about Marans apart from they lay nice eggs that are usually a dark chocolately brown if gotten from a breeder, I don't own Marans.

Like Ihilani Coffee said, there is room for everyone.
smile.png
I'm just helping someone find some chickens by linking their thread, chill. Some people just like pretty chickens that lay pretty eggs and care very little about breed standards and that's just as good as someone that breeds for perfection. However it is needless to rant and rave about a misspelling.

Why can't we just agree over the joy of raising chickens?
smile.png
I'm thinking (hoping) that post wasn't directed at you. There are some people out there who raise and sell Marans (and many other breeds for that matter) that know very little about them but claim to and this (unlike what you did) is wrong. I can't count the number of instances I've heard of where someone was sold ans "Amerakinda" - foe Ameracauna ie Easter Egger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom