Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I know :( for the price I paid for them, I was at least hoping for a chance. I'm praying that the one that developed hatches. Lockdown on Tuesday.
Whoa! Just one? Please let me know who this is so I can avoid them. I recommend coastlinepoultry.com. I have some in the incubator right now. I had one that had to go so far. It was not even fertile. We are on day 10.

Ok everyone. Need some advice. I have a mixed flock of black australorp, barred rock, silkie, old english game. I come to you for opinion. I know many of you probably have more than just marans. My decision by tomorrow afternoon is this.....splash marans or deleware. I want friendly birds that lay year round in cold and heat. Brooding isn't a big deal as I am not a breeder. Just a hobbyist! Main thing is personality and eggs! Thank you

Ok everyone. Need some advice. I have a mixed flock of black australorp, barred rock, silkie, old english game. I come to you for opinion. I know many of you probably have more than just marans. My decision by tomorrow afternoon is this.....splash marans or deleware. I want friendly birds that lay year round in cold and heat. Brooding isn't a big deal as I am not a breeder. Just a hobbyist! Main thing is personality and eggs! Thank you
I breed Delawares and BCM and have worked with both for over 6 years now. Both breeds have a great personality and lay pretty well. If you buy from a hatchery, you will most likely get good layers but personality/temperament is not a goal in their breeding, just pumping out the numbers for the orders, so that part will be a crap shoot. So much depends on the line you get and honestly, sometimes just the individual bird. My Marans that lay the darkest eggs lay fewer of them so as a whole I would have to say the Delawares I have lay better. As far as laying year round in heat and cold I have found a lot depends on hatch date. When it is time for them to molt and take a break they do it. I try to hatch year round so I have birds coming to laying maturity at all different times of the year. Oregon weather is pretty moderate, very few days below 30 in the winter and very few over 100 in the summer.

I breed Delawares and BCM and have worked with both for over 6 years now.  Both breeds have a great personality and lay pretty well.  If you buy from a hatchery, you will most likely get good layers but personality/temperament is not a goal in their breeding, just pumping out the numbers for the orders, so that part will be a crap shoot.  So much depends on the line you get and honestly, sometimes just the individual bird.  My Marans that lay the darkest eggs lay fewer of them so as a whole I would have to say the Delawares I have lay better.  As far as laying year round in heat and cold I have found a lot depends on hatch date.  When it is time for them to molt and take a break they do it.  I try to hatch year round so I have birds coming to laying maturity at all different times of the year.  Oregon weather is pretty moderate, very few days below 30 in the winter and very few over 100 in the summer.

Ok. Thank you so much. I believe the splash are from a breeder but I am not sure to be honest. I know this person sells marans all the time. I guess I will go with the deleware. They are 10 minutes from my house and the splash are little over an hour away. I think both birds are beautiful so I couldn't choose by pictures. They will be handled daily. I'll let you know!

Sometimes I have to sit on my hands to avoid an argument.

On a Facebook poultry group, a lady had pics of what were clearly Easter Eggers. She was selling them as Americanas (or however she spelled it wrong), and said you can tell they're true americanas because they have beards. Only the true ones have beards.

he.gif
I know, it's awful! If you read the AM thread 1/2 of the posts are from people who think they have AM's, but they're EE's. I don't blame them, they were sold to them as such, but then they breed them and sell them as AM's too sometimes. Vicious cycle!

Hello! I am planning on getting Marans in a laying flock so I am ready to learn from this thread. And have some fun. Thank you for all the advice. Oh, and by the way I have been drooling over all the pretty birds that are here.

My first Blue Copper Marans hatched this afternoon Day 21! It was also the darkest egg out of the 3. I also did the low humidity between 30-40% and bumped it up to 60-75% at lockdown. Also hatched standing upright. Was very nervous. Hopefully, I will get a hen out of this hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom