Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Here is a better photo of her. I'm not sure what mossy means actually.

Here is a better photo of her. I'm not sure what mossy means actually.

To be honest your Male is a mix of BC and Wheaten and the female looks more Welsummer. I believe Mossy does not appear here but would need a different Picture. Also the female appears to have yellow legs. Don

Okay, so I need some help. I have what I thought were a pair of copper blue marans. I'm attaching a really bad (but the best I can do photo of them.) The chicks of this pair are nearly jet black with just the slightest touch of copper. What in the world have I got here? (This is probably the dumbest newbie question you guys will see in a while).

Why did you think they were Blue Copper Marans? Were they sold to you as that? The male looks like Black Copper to me. The hen, well I don't know what she is. From the second photo you posted, she looks like some sort of production (hatchery) red bird like a New Hampshire or red sexlink. I don't think she is a Marans.

Take a close look at this female and you will see what is called Shafting on the Marans. Her quill of the feather on the back is lighter and this is called Shafting. In Marans it is a defect, some breeds it is acceptable to have Shafting. Don

To be honest your Male is a mix of BC and Wheaten and the female looks more Welsummer. I believe Mossy does not appear here but would need a different Picture. Also the female appears to have yellow legs. Don

I didn't notice the yellow legs. That makes her even more useless. I'm not sure if that's even a Marans.
Take a close look at this female and you will see what is called Shafting on the Marans. Her quill of the feather on the back is lighter and this is called Shafting. In Marans it is a defect, some breeds it is acceptable to have Shafting. Don

I've had several that look like that. That's why I thought it was a mossy Marans (but she may be a Welsumer instead).

Totally useless for Marans breeding, but good for Olive Egger breeding. Although I just sell the girls to the locals as "brown egg layers". I either butcher the boys, or sell them as eating roosters.

Hey everyone I have two cuckoo marans, one is gray with slightly feathered legs and the other is black and is clean legged. They both have the gray feet. They are the same age from the same place, is there a chance one is not a maran?

Hey everyone I have two cuckoo marans, one is gray with slightly feathered legs and the other is black and is clean legged. They both have the gray feet. They are the same age from the same place, is there a chance one is not a maran?

Both sound like Marans just the French verity have feathers on the legs some people like this and others don't and I believe the English version are clean legged .....

One of my Black Marans roosters is white with just a couple of black feathers with huge wattles and comb but not so big in the body and some of his sisters are larger then he is but what a attitude he has and looks more like a cartoon then a regular Marans rooster and some day when I get the camera going again I will put up some photos of him .....

Back
Top Bottom