Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a total of 15 chickens, 5 of which are Marans. They are just now 5-6 months old. One is a rooser who is now crowing and 4 gorgeous hens. I would like to learn the technical names of their colors. The Roo is a grey(blue) with brown/tan coloring throughout his wings and neck. Two of the hens are grey/blue with brown/tan necks, one is all black and one is black with white blended into her neck. A few of them also have feather legs. Very beautiful. The rooster is not aggressive at all. What is the difference between the French Blue Copper and the Splash?

I have a total of 15 chickens, 5 of which are Marans. They are just now 5-6 months old. One is a rooser who is now crowing and 4 gorgeous hens. I would like to learn the technical names of their colors. The Roo is a grey(blue) with brown/tan coloring throughout his wings and neck. Two of the hens are grey/blue with brown/tan necks, one is all black and one is black with white blended into her neck. A few of them also have feather legs. Very beautiful. The rooster is not aggressive at all. What is the difference between the French Blue Copper and the Splash?
Welcome! It sounds like your cockerel may be a blue copper Marans as well as the two pullets. The all black may be a black copper Marans that is not expressing the coppering in her neck, as pure black Marans are not at all common. The black with white in her neck may be a Birchen Marans. APA standard is for feathered shanks and outer toe, so the use of "French" is a marketing term and redundant. Blue coppers carry only one dilution gene and the splash carry two dilution genes. Breeding blue colored birds of any breed will yield blue, black, and splash chicks, or BBS for short.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Check out the BYC learning center
caf.gif

My one Splash Marans laid her first egg today! My concern is that it is speckled. Has a very, very dark brown speckling. Will they become a solid color or is this a defect?

Here is the Maran Rooster - is he a Blue Cooper or a Splash?
Definitely not a splash. Splash marans are white with flecks of black or blue ... A speckling basically. I am not extremely familiar with the blue copper, but he looks different from what I see on Google. Very pretty though.

Back
Top Bottom