Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

French standard is feathered, English is clean legged on BCM. The Americans adopted the French standard for the BCM, but I'm not sure about the cuckoos. My cuckoo are clean legged, with slate colored legs, but they are also hatchery birds. I would love to see what a SQ cuckoo looked like
yes English sorry. But I also read that most of the time in America you will get English standard unless you find someone that is breeding french standard, but most of the time you get English standard from hatcheries and feed stores. Not sure how true this is either

yes English sorry. But I also read that most of the time in America you will get English standard unless you find someone that is breeding french standard, but most of the time you get English standard from hatcheries and feed stores. Not sure how true this is either
I think a lot more emphasis is put on the BCM, but out of all of my breeds my cuckoo Marans are my favorite. They all have great dispositions, lay a lot of eggs, and the best rooster I have ever owned

I think a lot more emphasis is put on the BCM, but out of all of my breeds my cuckoo Marans are my favorite. They all have great dispositions, lay a lot of eggs, and the best rooster I have ever owned
mine too! I originally bought three but one was just nasty. After she jumped my eight year old daughter she had to go, but the other two are the most friendly. They will stand there and let me pet them. Sometimes they will even come up to me to get their daily loving lol. Mine have just started laying in the last couple months but my one girl rotisserie has layed two eggs in one day a few times now. I love all my girls but my cuckoos are my favorite. Besides my one little easter egger buttercup. She had curled toes when I brought her home. Not sure if she has just gotten use to being held because of me trying to fix her foot or if she just loves me, but she will jump right up in my lap and hang out for awhile.

mine too! I originally bought three but one was just nasty. After she jumped my eight year old daughter she had to go, but the other two are the most friendly. They will stand there and let me pet them. Sometimes they will even come up to me to get their daily loving lol. Mine have just started laying in the last couple months but my one girl rotisserie has layed two eggs in one day a few times now. I love all my girls but my cuckoos are my favorite. Besides my one little easter egger buttercup. She had curled toes when I brought her home. Not sure if she has just gotten use to being held because of me trying to fix her foot or if she just loves me, but she will jump right up in my lap and hang out for awhile.
All of my cuckoos have great dispositions, but I love the rooster. Very calm, very good to the girls. He will take treats from my hand and drop them for the girls. He is the first one to sound the alarm when a predator is around, and herds the girls into the coop at night. I love that guy :D

I just wanted to share a picture of my splash marans egg because I think it is pretty perfect
1f60a.png
if any one remembers, I asked if they would become less speckled and darker... In this case they did. This is probably her 4th egg, the other egg belongs to s BSL and that is a huge one! I also attached a picture of the hen, freckles.

huh not sure. My cuckoos have clean legs but the picture of the Golden cuckoo above does look like she has feathers on her feet. Now I'm gonna have to go back and read some more!
1f605.png

So I wasn't just seeing things. Good. If feathered legs are somewhere in all maran DNA then that might explain my cuckoo hen with spurs. (Which, by the way, makes a terrible broody! She poked the eggs, then ate them of course. We'll be taking every egg out from her from now on, lol.)

I just wanted to share a picture of my splash marans egg because I think it is pretty perfect
1f60a.png
if any one remembers, I asked if they would become less speckled and darker... In this case they did. This is probably her 4th egg, the other egg belongs to s BSL and that is a huge one! I also attached a picture of the hen, freckles.

She's so pretty, and what a good girl for the egg
1f609.png

For clarity: APA standard for Marans is feathered shanks and outer toe. Variety is irrelevant. ALL Marans mush have feathered shanks and outer toe to meet APA Standard of Perfection, color variety notwithstanding. That being said, many cuckoo Marans do not have the required shank/toe feathering and that is a disqualification. DQs are: Yellow on shanks or toes. White ear lobes. Pearl or black eyes. Absence of feathers on shanks.

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/StandardofPerfection.html

Knowledge is power to make better decisions. Everyone breeding Marans should read, study, learn, and eventually memorize and internalize this information.

For clarity:  APA standard for Marans is feathered shanks and outer toe.  Variety is irrelevant.  ALL Marans mush have feathered shanks and outer toe to meet APA Standard of Perfection, color variety notwithstanding.  That being said, many cuckoo Marans do not have the required shank/toe feathering and that is a disqualification.  DQs are: [COLOR=58281F][COLOR=000000]Yellow on shanks or toes. White ear lobes. Pearl or black eyes. Absence of feathers on shanks.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/StandardofPerfection.html  

Knowledge is power to make better decisions.  Everyone breeding Marans should read, study, learn, and eventually memorize and internalize this information.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom