Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Can anyone tell me what type of Maran rooster this is? He was hatched by a friend who bought the egg at a chicken show - she thought it was Black Copper. This rooster is 6 months old and seems full grown - he has a little copper on his neck and back but is mostly black. Also has a little bit of white on one of his tail feathers.

Seems like he doesn't have near as much copper as you would expect in a BCM.

Any ideas?

Question with will my rooster ever get his tailfeathers or is this a genetic issue? He is five months old and has never had tailfeathers

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what type of Maran rooster this is? He was hatched by a friend who bought the egg at a chicken show - she thought it was Black Copper. This rooster is 6 months old and seems full grown - he has a little copper on his neck and back but is mostly black. Also has a little bit of white on one of his tail feathers.

Seems like he doesn't have near as much copper as you would expect in a BCM.

Any ideas?

This is what we see in a lot of BC Marans familys at present. He will never color up with enough Copper to be a good breeder.

Question with will my rooster ever get his tailfeathers or is this a genetic issue? He is five months old and has never had tailfeathers

He either has a slow feather gene or flockmate are pulling out his feathers, and they take a few months to come back in. I have a RIR who was plucked three times by cockerel flockmates and didn't sport any tailfeathers until he was 3! When they did come in, they were low and beautiful.

This is what we see in a lot of BC Marans familys at present. He will never color up with enough Copper to be a good breeder.

He was very aggressive as well - we free range, so he is now in the freezer.

Are BCM's usually aggressive? I don't have much to go on, but he was much worse than our last rooster (Rhode Island Red).

None of my Marans are aggressive, and most in my area aren't either. People only have what they allow themselves to keep. An odd mean bird may pop up every now and then, but it should be culled just like a severe physical defect. I want birds that will forage and fend for themselves on during the day, not sitting snacks for predators, but I don't want man haters either

Hi all. I'm fairly new to this site and also this will be my first winter with my chickens. I have a friend that was raising some production red pullets for me until they feathered out. When I went to get them her husband gave me an additional bird.
After looking up threads here and hatchery siyes I believe I was given additional clean legged silver cuckoo marans. So my first question is does every additional green that's what this bird is?
The 2nd question of course is Pullet or Cockerel?
Any questions you have for me that could help let me know. The bird is the same size as my wyandotte pullet that is 13 weeks old. The bird in question spends it's time with a couple 9 week old PR pullets and is totally afraid of the 13 week old wyandotte.

Hi all. I'm fairly new to this site and also this will be my first winter with my chickens. I have a friend that was raising some production red pullets for me until they feathered out. When I went to get them her husband gave me an additional bird.
After looking up threads here and hatchery siyes I believe I was given additional clean legged silver cuckoo marans. So my first question is does every additional green that's what this bird is?
The 2nd question of course is Pullet or Cockerel?
Any questions you have for me that could help let me know. The bird is the same size as my wyandotte pullet that is 13 weeks old. The bird in question spends it's time with a couple 9 week old PR pullets and is totally afraid of the 13 week old wyandotte.

Your Cuckoo Marans is a cockerel (boy). He is a very handsome young rooster and should make a good flock leader to your production red pullets.

Back
Top Bottom