Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Is it possible for a Cuckoo Marian roo and hen to hatch a White Maran and a Black Maran chick? I don't have any White or Black stock and my recent hatch had obvious Cockoos and 2 solid black chicks and one white. They match pics I found online. Am I crazy?

Here are the parents of the 24 eggs I ordered. I know that they are blues but are they Frenches or not. I believe that they aren't so I am good with that. Whatever they are I am going to be happy if I get a good amount of chicks. The seller got them out quick and they are supposed to get here by WEDNESDAY. I am so excited for another breed of chickens.

Also I wonder if I'd be able to breed them with my sulmtalers and what they would look like. I'm not sure that it would be good but whatever comes out would be surely interesting. Here are my sulmtalers that I own.

I can see a mix of clean and feather legged in that picture. The prominently featherlegged hen has perfect leg feathering; lightly down the shank with feathering just on the outer toe. Marans don't have obscene feather legs, that's why some being clean legged and some feather legged is alright in the same group. It's better than vulture hocks! They have nice pointy tails and are Fuller figured ladies too. I personally feel their combs are rather too large, and They should stand up straight too. Their long backs are perfect!

Hi! Last month I got three cuckoo Marans chicks at a feed store and I'm not really familiar with the breed. Is it possible to tell if these are pullets? They're now about 7 weeks old. One has light feathering on the legs, the other two are clean-legged.

Those are the clean-leg ones, Alice and Matilda.

Hoping the pic comes up.

Anyway showed my blue hen at a small show yesterday (yes I realize it's not a Recognized color, just getting experience). So the judge gave me a lot of "advice" as I was the only one in that class to show so she had the time to "critique" her ("" bc I'm trying to be nice)... Anyway she said she doesn't breed true.. After some discussion she asked if all her chicks hatch true to color. Well I haven't done that yet... Just got a roo from Brian Parks so I will finally see... But I guess bc she has splash bleeding through and some lemon hackles she said? How do I breed that out? Get new hens altogether? I have 6 hens and she has the best shape but others have slightly less of the color prob...

Does anybody know what the best humidity is to hatch maran eggs. I know that some like no humidity during hatch and some need tons.

Bc of their thick shells Marans hatch out at very high humidity (I mention above I haven't hatched out chicks but I mean from this line, I have hatched out quite a few from previous lines)

Back
Top Bottom