Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

personaly i never candle , i think it will harm more than help opening the bator all the time
unless you cant tell what end is up on the round eggs and u need to find the air pocket than do it
try 43 percent humidity and 62 to 65 percent humidity on lock down
i ad water 3 times during incubation and if u can use a straw to ad water without opening bator is better and warm up the water , dont throw cold water in
also rest eggs 12 to 24 hours whan u recive them in the mail , i use the egg turner when resting eggs run incubator with store bought eggs 3 or 4 days befor u put the pricy egg in and toss the store bought eggs

Quote:

thanks!
smile.png
Love to hear the success stories!

Quote:
Hi Sue! Glad you jumped in......no need to lurk around here my friend, join the party.
frow.gif
How are your chickies doing?

So a couple things I would do is....make sure the 'bator is in a room that stays a constant temp. (I have mine in a room that stays around 62-65 degrees all the time) and free from drafts and direct sun light. Have your 'bator up and running for a couple days prior to setting your eggs, this way if you need to make adjustments you can and no need to worry about any eggs being in it while you tinker if need be. Once it is running nice and steady at 99.5 (mine will run between 99 and 100...I don't worry about it if it runs at 100....I worry if it goes over that and/or drops too low) I run my humidity at 40-45% for the first 18 days and then day 18 thru 21 I up the humidity. I usually leave the humidity around 55% to 60% (60% if needed)...sometimes I need to raise it more depending on the weather, but I find 55% suitable. Don't open the incubator days 18 thru 21 except to add water if need, not sure of type of styro 'bator you use......oh and remember Marans can take a couple days longer than some breeds of chickens.....other than that....not much else to do 'cept wait.
smile.png

susannemw The MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE HATCH... do not forget to do this part... It will make or break the fun...

wait for it.... wait for it..... POST PICTURES OF THE NEW HATCHIES!!!!! Welcome to the marans thread and happy hatching!!!!

EVERBUDDY>>>SEND THE HATCHIE VIBE!!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

HI there Kim!

I absolutely love the 4 babies I have from the recent hatch. I have a splash OE, 2 barnies that I think are both girls based on their belly/chest color and the most adorable blue maran. He/she is my favorite. I love the little dark legs with fuzz. I cannot believe how big the splash and the blue are, and how FAST they are growing. What do you put in mamas feed out there??? They are huge and calm and now I am greedy and want more.
smile.png
The barnies are sweet too - hyper and running at top speed like they missed a date. I will post pics - hopefully I can get them taken tomorrow.
smile.png
Thank you for the beautiful eggs!

Last edited:
Back for more TIME WARP??? Wow did you miss the party earlier.... It was downright cheeky

Back
Top Bottom