Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Does anyone know of someone who is selling Wheaten Marans. Thanks so much if you would like to PM me that would be great.
wink.png

Quote:
YAY Marans! I'm glad you chose them they are a wonderful breed
big_smile.png

As far as the olive eggers go, a Marans roo is used over a blue egg layer to produce an olive layer (I could go more in depth but this is just a simpler explanation) But yep just a cross and with those ameraucanas you could make some lovely crosses
droolin.gif

Do you plan on just doing olive eggers or them and Marans?

I really like the marans a lot, I am thinking I may get some other marans in the near future, when some really great ones from a known blood line pop up. I havent had the best luck until this most recent breeder in VA. I am finding a lot of people in the area just breed from their hatchery stock, and while that is great, and works well, I am striving for substance in my flock, and I hope to hatch out in the future, so I really want a quality stock to go from. I can't wait to watch these guys grow up! Super cute already!!

Hi kaitlyn,

I grew up in Gilford NH, right next door to you!

Keep your eyes open there are people on this thread who sell nice stock.

-Keara

Oh wow! Yes my mother property is in Gilford! Too funny!
That is great to hear, I will def. keep my eyes open! Like I said, I am brand new to marans, so I do not know for sure who even breeds them in this area. Thanks!!

Hello all.
Was just wondering if anyone raises cuckoos?
Ive seen alot of nice black coppers and blues on here but no cuckoos

A warm welcome to the other new eggs here!
smile.png

Hey does anyone know if the breed standard on the Marans Club Of America is official yet (for Black Coppers)? Is there anywhere where they assign point values? I think it was the Aussie standard that I found online, it was like 30 or 40 points for size, 30 points for color (or something, I'm not quoting the website obviously), 5 or 10 points for head, etc. Also, I'm beginning to think that my red hen and rooster I bought (as hatching eggs) are black tailed buffs according to the MCOA site. Will this be an official, showable variety? There isn't actually a breed standard on the site, just a few pics and a few brief sentences. I'm really beginning to think I want to show chickens, is that sick...??
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe the Black Copper standard is official with the APA. I think that's the only one so far for Marans. I know there are people FAR more in the know than I am that will likely chime in.

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 on that WARM WELCOME to the NEW EGGS finding their way to the marans thread....

The last bit of info I had was.....

For those interested in showing, here is the point system Black Coppers will be judged on:

Symmetry 4
Weight or size 4
Condition & vigor 10
Comb 5
Beak 3
Skull & face 4
Eyes 4
Wattles 2
Earlobes 4
Neck 6
Back 12
Tail 8