Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

OK you asked!!!

This is Blue Boy, he is a real prize to me!!!

92428_dsc03315.jpg

92428_dsc03310.jpg

92428_dsc03332.jpg

92428_dsc03333.jpg

This is the splash copper, loving him too!!!

92428_dsc03317.jpg

92428_dsc03306.jpg

92428_dsc03308.jpg

This the starting point of my breeding. I have 13 FBCM 6 roos and 6 pullets about 11 weeks and one 3 mths roo also from Raven.
How long do I have to wait for breeding the boys??

Quote:
No, no eating them in their immediate future
clap.gif
I will let you know when I need new boys for new blood! How old before I can give them some girls for olive egger projects? My pullets have started to lay so they all we be along soon
wee.gif

LIKE I am in LOVE with these boys!!!! Hubby says I love them better than him...
hide.gif

DEBBI!!!!!!! I am so glad to hear about your dog. You are not going to believe this, but Saturday morning I went to let Rooter, my faithful little boston terrier out of his kennel. He could not get up. He struggled and struggled. He finally made it up, but could only walk with very stiff hind legs. He barely made it down the steps to go outside, but then he couldn't make it back in the house. He always jumps up on my lap in the house, but he couldn't. It wasn't his hips, but his hind legs were stiff. I wanted to post something about it then, but I just couldn't. I was so afraid for Rooter. It was obvious that he didn't feel good at all. He kept falling on his behind with his legs sticking straight out under him.

By that afternoon he was able to slowly make it up the steps. Then yesterday he was MUCH better, and today he seems pretty much normal. Not sure what that was all about. Do they do these things just to make us worry and realize how much it's going to hurt to loose them? Gees. Rooter is only about 10 years old, but he is blind in one eye from a cataract, and now it looks like he is getting a cataract in the other eye. Guess I will have to be the "seeing eyes" for my dog, instead of a "seeing eye dog."

Quote:
Beautiful roo! Is the copper in the splash "normal" or "expected"? I just got my first splash marans and I dont know if they will or should have copper hackles or not? Do your splash hens end up with copper hackles, too?

From what I understand: If the 'splashes' have coppering in thier background as in from Blue coppers etc they may have coppering in thier plumage especially the males on thier hackles, saddle feathers etc. The females can show no coppering even if they do have it. You have to know what the parents are or test breed.

If they come from pure blues or splashes without coppering in thier genetics then they shouldn't present with coppering.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you explained it well!

I wish it would cool off so i could get out and sort through some of my hatches. I'm seeing good prospects,but just am waiting to catch them up and handle them til we get a bit of a break in the temps. At least the pepper and tomato plants love the weather....they are producing like crazy!
I'll have to count my birchens for you next time I get out there for more than just a few minutes.

It only cools off here when it rains a little and then gets all muggy and nasty hot again lol. All the maters here kinda quit producing except the cherry tomatoes. I am thinking of planting some new ones for fall. Since its been raining my summer squash plants got fungally but the winter squash and watermelon, okra and peppers still looks good. I need to go pull some stuff out to make room for fall planting.

I think I finally have a pure black Marans roo. I have an older black hen but this little roo, I've been watching, to see if he would look more dark blue as he got older but he is staying pitch black
smile.png
He was born around Easter. He has nicely feathered shanks too. I can see he will have too many points on his comb of course but he's cute. I need to get some pics. He runs away from me every time I go near him. He is in with some other freeranging babies that have never been penned up...only at night do they go into thier little house.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom