Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I don't have all that many egg cartons because I haven't bought eggs from the store except a few times in the last few years. I get some from people but not near 2000 LOL! If it was just up to the Marans to keep me in eggs I'd prob have to buy store bought LOL! My layer hen pen and the key wests keep me in plenty to make up for the slackers though.

Quote:
We both got good surprises I found FIVE! that is a first. Three the other day then four and now five...... six is next! I really didn't think I would get that many this soon since the weather is changing, but it is still in the mid to upper 60's most days and only a few nights below freezing.
celebrate.gif
They don't even have lights in their pen.

Way to go!!!! More soon to follow!!!
thumbsup.gif

My Marans (andEE) don't have light either--so I'm surprised to see an egg!

Folks!!!! It has happened!!!!! I HAVE MY FIRST MARANS EGG!!!!!! It only took 7 months.

Small pullet egg but impressively dark for her first!
38460_img_0758-1.jpg

Laid by the incredible - Ruth. She is over melanized, has spurs like a roo, and VERY sparsely feathered legs but I love her. And if she's going to give me nice dark eggs, even better!
38460_img_0750-1.jpg

Debbi, thank you for the information about sexing Silkies. I am keeping a close eye on the brooder. Any signs of trouble and I'll move her out of there.

Pink, SO glad to hear you found that mitt and that your chick is upright with his legs under him. I assume that means Mel will be able to share LOTS of smiling pictures from supper tonight.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom