Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Yes, it's the competition that kills me. It would be so much easier (and cheaper) if I could just hand out hundred dollar bills.
tongue.gif

Vicki~

The Birchens are doing well. They are growing fast and I am positive there are atleast 2 females, possibly 3 but the 3rd one I think might be a girl has a bigger comb than the other 2 pullets, but smaller than all the males. They sure are a different color of black vs the black coppers, have you noticed that too?

I am going to get photos of them today.
smile.png

BTW: did you see that Blue Copper cockerel that I posted yesterday......what do you make of the red coming in on the front of the hackles?

Quote:
Nice! I can't remember how many total you hatched out for the birchens...? They do tend to have a totally different look than the black coppers...even as chicks. Its pretty easy now that I've hatched quite a few to tell them apart from the BCMs when i glance in the brooder and not need to look at band color. I can't wait to see photos of them. I want to try for some photos today, but its pretty overcast and I have tons to do to get ready for my brother's family coming. I also want to get all the presents wrapped and stashed away so the kiddos can't find them.

I don't think I did see that boy. I probably was at work and I still have to go back to read through what I missed yesterday. I'm afraid I'm pretty sleepy this morning so I've been slacking. I usually read things right away, but I'm just happy to have a day off finally.

Morning and Happy Holidays!
I'm bringing this forward from last night!
I did get some answers, but need to gather more info!!

Quote:

Sorry, Cadeau, we seem to be getting a little chatty again right now.
I know you are excited about having such a fabulous breed, but these are too many questions to answer in one post! I have to keep toggling back and forth to try and get them all!
I am in no means an expert, but this is what I would do.....
First off, the reason Marans are different from all the other birds is EGG COLOR. That must be preserved.
So I would go for egg color, before leg feathering.
Middle toe feathering is a no no. If he is perfect in all the other aspects, keep him for a breeder, and try against one with poor leg feathers.
Both hen and roo contribute to egg color.
I, personally, would not introduce another breed. This is where we got the comb issues.
The combs seem to be a big problem, I would not keep any of them with carnation, or side sprigs. They will bite you in the butt later on.
Remember, just my own opinions. I am sure you will get many different ones.
Roberta

Quote:
So this idea that I had floating in my head about sibling to sibling crossing to check for sprigs/carnations/comb faults was the right idea? Not that it really matters right now since mine aren't even close to laying age but this way I can start early and see what happens.

While egg color is the big goal on Marans, if someone had to pick one other feature to concentrate on, what would it be?

Also, and this is strictly hypothetical, if someone had no choice but to grab another variety of chicken to breed into their Marans flock, what would be an idea variety? Say it was being done to help eliminate the comb issue. (Yes, my thought train has not only derailed but the darn thing hasn't even tanked up on coffee yet).

Thanks Roberta!
I just wanted to be sure to gather more info - still on a very sharp learning curve and you guys are the best to learn from!!

ok - so I'll hang onto all the kids with the fluorescent band (super dark egg) and see how they grow out.

I understand middle toe feathering is a no-no, but - is it a different gene or an overflux of the same gene??
He really is cute - I'll have to try for a pic to see if I'm "barn blind"

Now that I have my first generation growing up, I need to set up several smaller pens for breeding.
Then I can put this "too many feathers" boy with "not enough feathers" and see what I get!
(This is what I should do, right?)

As for the other breed, just want everyone to be sure I'M NOT USING THEM FOR BCM BREEDING
(caps not yelling at you, just making sure everyone notices!)
I just gave my roo some Red Star ladies b/c he was VERY unhappy living alone, while his ladies hatched and grew up!

They are only for EATING EGGS, I promise!! but I was thrilled with the egg color!!
Which made me start to wonder about where the dark egg gene lies and if it is a Y or X linked trait! (or whatever birds have b/c I doubt it is X and Y)
Too bad, though b/c some of my Red Star girls are laying a really nice, round egg!

Thanks on the comb, too....that's what I figured....sigh....but that cochin really is SO nice...

Sorry for interrupting the holiday talk!
I have to do one run to a sale today, after I do all my stalls and coops - hoping I get there in time!!
Happy Holidays all!!

Hi Cad!

I am trying to work on answering some of your questions and you have got some good ones too. I may take me all day to digest that and draft a response. Hoping that everyone else will come out and give you their opinions to.

What I can say for right now...1st and foremost.....EGG COLOR, EGG COLOR, EGG COLOR, (IMO) should always be a priority when making breeding decisions. I'm not saying breed everything that lays a dark egg no matter what it looks like....I am saying we must remember egg color retention and improvement if we can, as a 'shared top priority" and breed for a couple of things at one time, all the while culling at the same time for major obvious faults regardless of egg color. It can be a fine line and a tricky one all at the same time. This breed of chickens is special because of their egg color and without it they would just be just another tan colored egg layer. Preserving the trait that sets them apart from other breeds of chickens is paramount. Same with the other dark egg layers, Welsummers, Barnevelders and yes, even the Penedesencas.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom