Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Could you just add a bit of olive oil to the mix? Might give it some moisture, and would be good fat as oppossed to adding pork?

now that's an idea I could get behind! What do you think Lenette?

Quote:
Could you just add a bit of olive oil to the mix? Might give it some moisture, and would be good fat as oppossed to adding pork?

That's a good idea and something to try. I have no clue but I'm always willing to try anything. I bet it would be especially good with a chicken italian type of sausage.

Quote:
yay! Where are you picking them up from? I've read about the cottage hill line, but never really seen a website or anything to see what the stock looks like when grown

Picking them up from Rancher's Poultry Farm aka Randy Bivens in a couple hours. He had a website but he took it down a couple weeks ago, having to sell out his stock because of health reasons. I'd talked to him about getting a few more birds earlier in the year so I kind of freaked when the bookmark site dissapeared, lol! But he had a few babies just hatch out, and he had a few hatching eggs left he said he'd throw in his 'bator for me
big_smile.png
I'm gonna try to get some good pictures of the stuff I got from him in the next couple of weeks when the birds cooperate well and it's not raining ;D

I'd be really interested to see what you have. I have some Presley/Jeane crosses here.
big_smile.png

Quote:

That's a good idea and something to try. I have no clue but I'm always willing to try anything. I bet it would be especially good with a chicken italian type of sausage.

I would think if you were to mix it in with the meat and seasoning and such slowly you'd be able to tell when enough is enough. I'm gonna give it a try...especially since you can flavor infuse olive oil pretty easily. That would give another benefit of seasoning the sausage as well....especially with some of the herbs that are not as easy to chop up or have hard stems and etc...like rosemary or thyme.

Quote:
You think that is bad... I use a CHICKEN rotisserie as my egg turner in the incubator.... irony
lau.gif
Well... they are both used to cook chickens
lau.gif

ep.gif
ep.gif
gig.gif
Kind of getting them used to the idea early, eh??
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif
too funny! It is on my BYC page if you want to look for ideas. If anybody has any suggestions on the gears send them to me! I am going to be working on a new bator next week maybe and my son hates the egg turner gears. I have asked on another thread but nobody seems to want to SHARE their egg turns IDKW? Maybe they are planning on patenting them to sell. I picked another rotisserie up at a yard sale for $5 so I should be good to go.... still working on a thremostat... I think I am going to TRY a WHT and see what happens. It will be easy to change out if it does not work well.

Quote:
Picking them up from Rancher's Poultry Farm aka Randy Bivens in a couple hours. He had a website but he took it down a couple weeks ago, having to sell out his stock because of health reasons. I'd talked to him about getting a few more birds earlier in the year so I kind of freaked when the bookmark site dissapeared, lol! But he had a few babies just hatch out, and he had a few hatching eggs left he said he'd throw in his 'bator for me
big_smile.png
I'm gonna try to get some good pictures of the stuff I got from him in the next couple of weeks when the birds cooperate well and it's not raining ;D

I'd be really interested to see what you have. I have some Presley/Jeane crosses here.
big_smile.png

Ok...I wondered where that website went. I had looked at it a few months ago just briefly but couldn't pull it up the other day.

Quote:

now that's an idea I could get behind! What do you think Lenette?

You can always add when cooking too. I made some turkey sausage once and it is really dry too and we just added oil to the skillet. Same way with the deer sausage we just cooked.

Back
Top Bottom